Accuracy International Sniper Rifle

Paul Revere

Interested in finding out as much as possible about the AI Sniper rifle in .308.

The one in question is based on a Remington 700 action and 20" bull and fluted barrel, parkerized finish, kevlar tactical green stock, 8 rd. detachable magazine.

Would like approximate price, accuracy, reliability, and where I could get one. Have already been to the AI website. Thanks.

Paul;

First... AI rifles are not Remington 700 based. They are of the same design (mauser type bolt action) but are not Remingtons... they are AIs design (Melcolm Coopers to be exact).

I went to the AI Site and couldn't find the one your are talking about. They only list the AW, AWP, AWM and AW50. None of them list the features you mentioned. I do know that at one time, after AI pulled their line from Gunsite, whoever (I forgot... maybe CGI?) was inporting them had a "special" made up for them to sell.

I've got one of the first 75 AWPs that arrived in Country back in 94.

Accuracy? Yep. most accurate rifle I've got. Best group ever fired (stars were aligned, hell was froze over) measured .17 MOA. I'm averaging slightly less then .5 MOA. If I shoot > .75 MOA I know I'm doing something wrong.

Reliable - Only got about 2K of rounds through it but haven't had any reliability problems.

Price - If I remember correctly the Special was going for something like $4900 or something (but that included scope). AI's web site list two specials now... $3600 for the .308 one.

Keep in mind that priceing is for the rifle only... does not include scope. Tack on another $xxx or $X,xxx for a proper scope.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

I believe Accuracy International is selling a version of their chassis assembly which YOU can mount a Remington 700 action to. Don't know the price though.

They are selling their proprietary rifle AND a Rem 700 version.

A Dealer friend of mine was considering stocking them, as I recall. You might try phoning his shop and asking about them. Gun Mart, 615-352-3091.

Karanas & Rob.

Don't know nothing about a proprietary chassis assembly (ya ya... I know. As soon as I saw the Gunsite Ripo... "Free Market Enterprise Adaptment" of theirchassis assambly and read the article that stated, with in the first paragraph I believe, something to the effect that "mounting actions on steel rail has been happening since the beginning of firearms") I knew these would start to show up all over. _I_ still think of it as AI proprietary. Guess we shall have to wait and see what the AZ Court says.

As to AI selling Remington 700s. Don't know... don't care... Got an AWP.. that is all I need. ;)

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Back