Accuracy in the media

Oatka

Folks, I apologize for the length, especially since it has nothing to do with firearms, except from the standpoint of how the media can paint a biased picture, not by intent, but just because of the slovenly state Journalism has sunk to today.

My oldest boy is a railroad engineer and was involved in a non-fatal but scary crossing accident. No use printing the whole article, but you can infer it from my boy's reply to the reporter who printed this crap.

"Hi Pop: Well, the newspaper article about the collision the other night came out in last night's paper. As usual, it was loaded with inaccuracies, so I sent this attached email to the reporter who did the article. Makes you wonder what else the press has/is screwing up if they screw up a simple matter like this. I am happy to report that the girl is doing fine. Amazingly, she suffered only a fractured wrist, and ankle. My hat's
off to the design enginees at Honda! (The car was totalled and the girl, conscious all the time, had to be cut out of the wreckage.)

Joey, Regarding this article... I was the engineer on the train that night, and want to point out some innaccuracies in your report. I realize that you probably got a lot of your info from the police, which would
explain some of the mistakes, as they only talked to me, and not my conductor, or brakeman who witnessed the accident. I was 450 feet away from the scene, and never saw or felt a thing.

When we parked the train, and went back to our office to fill out accident reports, and discuss what had happened, this is where the innaccuracies in you report would later become obvious. Here goes --

Paragraph one: "an unlighted freight car" Both my conductor, and brakeman were with the freight car, and had their lanterns, which WERE lighted/on. My brakeman was on the ground waving his lantern horizontially trying to get her attention. When it became clear that she wasn't stopping, my brakeman dove into the center of the freight car, as
Jennifers car impacted under his feet. If it were not for his quick reaction, her car would have cut him in half.

Paragraph three: "at an unmarked track crossing" The crossing is clearly marked with reflective crossbuck signs at the crossing. There are also reflective "RR Xing ahead" signs posted about 100 yards either side of the crossing. I drove this route last night to make sure of this. "Traveling at speeds of 30 to 35 MPH, witnesses said" The posted speed limit there is 40 MPH. In the nearly three years we have safely used
that crossing, I can honestly say I have never seen anyone do anything close to 30 MPH. 45 to 55 MPH is more common. 30 MPH is a figure that the police somehow determined. With no skid marks at the scene, this would seem to be a guess on their part. Both my conductor,and brakeman have estimated her speed well in excess of 30 MPH. Also, no one was there but my crew to see the accident. "Witnesses" arrived about a minute later.

Paragraph five: "The train, which had four empty freight cars..." We had five cars, not four. 60 more feet, and an additional 35 tons to stop.

Paragraph six: "A railroad crossing sign is the only indication of the tracks". See comments on paragraph three, and even though I am not required to do so, I was blowing the whistle. She probably didn't hear it as police confirmed that her radio was on.

I hope this clears things up for you, and I would hope that you do a little more through report next time, instead of just parroting what the police say.

On a side note, the press is always quick give the "victims" story in matters like this, but always seem to forget that there's two or three people on the train who will be living with the events of the day as well. Some railroad employees have seen more people die than a modern day soldier, or cop ever will. However, we are all very glad to hear that she is doing well, and wish her a speedy recovery."

The girl sounds like she was not even Condition White, more like Condition Opaque.

Any time I've ever had personal knowledge about a "major media" news item, I've found it to be full of inaccuracies. "Fact checking" isn't what it used to be, if indeed it ever was <g>.

It makes you wonder about all the other stories. In fact, I don't wonder any more, I assume that all stories are likely inaccurate. Look for multiple information sources on the item in question and read between the lines. Only then do you have a chance of getting to the truth.

This is really trivial, but the other day I was reading a review of something about Clarence Williams III, Linc Hayes from the old TV series The Mod Squad. One of the things that the author repeatedly said in the article was that "Linc" coined the phrase "cool" a long time ago as a one word reply. Not true. Not true at all. "Linc" used the term "solid", not "cool" I remember that clearly because for some reason, I found it to be so stupid that I would watch the show just to cringe when he said it. ( Peggy Liptton was another reason to an adolecent hormone pump, but that is not relevant ;) ). It struck me that the media builds giant 2 story lies on a bunch of little lies. Each one is easy to disprove, but mostly so trivial it isn't worth it to do so. The result is a large house of lies, that can stand up to a heavy storm.

Oatka, glad your son came through this OK. It sounds like he knows the clueless girl was at fault, no matter what anyone else thinks. The pity of it is, the RR will end up buying her off for being stupid.

I am firmly convinced that the tv media
only reports what has been
"APPROVED FOR PUBLIC CONSUMPTION" by
government censures or at the very least,
by TV network centures.
If you have seen the Movie
"Good Morning Vietnam" by Robbin Williams
you know of what I speak. This movie graphically illistrates the work of government centures "approving news reports
for public consumption".
In the movie, entire reports would
frequently be ommited completely.
Now, the govt & the networks are more
sneaky about it. They do not omit the entire
report, they just change it to reflect and support their political agenda.
So you hear only their side of the story and any fact that does not support them
is changed and twisted around, as much as they can get away with, so that it does support them.
If this was a court case, they would all be guilty of evidence tampering, but it
is only the news and so we say it is " biased."

Outright lies and falsification
somehow seems a more appropiate term.

If there were such a thing as a video
chip that could detect lies and spin doctoring, you could watch a one hour news
report in 5 minutes with 55 minutes of blanked out blue screen.

The right to free speach, my big toe!
The first ammendment has been salimi sliced up and is nearly as far gone as the second
ammendment is!

I have seen examples of outright lies or disinformation in major newspapers. Things that could be checked by five minutes research in a public library. Granted these were things that could be argued were in the "public interest." They were still lies.

------------------
Byron Quick

The media is about as accurate as a HI-POINT pistol...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

After a minor experience with one of the excitement-mongers during Charles Whitman Day on the UT Tower, I generally don't talk to reporters about anything of importance to me.

How can they be accurate when they don't even know the meaning of "sight picture"?

:), Art

I"m not saying there is no agenda for some of the media reporters but sometime I think we attribute too much of the inaccuracy to their bias. Over my 60+ years I've had several opportunities to be interviewed by both local and national media and in most cases ignorance on their part is the big problem and their management is usually no more knowledgeable. In our area of interest you need to keep in mind you are dealing with someone with probably a jouralism degree and little knowledge of the workings of the subject on which they are writing. They read each other's work and generally only talk to their fellow media people.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to defend the junk that comes out as reporting but we can have a good impact if we try educating them to the workings of the real world. It's a long term cure I know but worth trying. TAKE A MEDIA PERSON TO THE RANGE SOMETIME.

Westex, the only media people I could ever convince to go to the range already have an interest in guns (Vin comes to mind). The rest of them yawn and snicker when I bring the subject up. They're not only ignorant, they're *proud* to be ignorant.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Well, friends, I am a media guy with an interest in guns. And I am part of a distinct minority. While it's not easy making excuses for many of my brethren, I feel obligated to try. As some of you have already noted, most journalists aren't experts in anything. Most, especially at small newspapers and TV stations, are overworked and underpaid. So when there's a story like a train accident, chances are good the writer has no experience with trains, stopping distances, lights, etc. They come in complete ignorance and they need to work quickly. So they generally talk with the police, who know just as little. Sometimes they talk with an official of the railroad, who says as little as possible because of liability. And you end up with errors. If you're a farmer or an accountant or a truck driver, imagine how well you'd do filing a report on open-heart surgery. Would you nail every fact? Spell everything correctly? Do a flawless description of the human anatomy? That's what reporters are supposed to do every day, on every possible topic. The big problem most people have with the media, though, is bias. Reporters like to think they're completely objective on every story. Of course, they're people, too, so everything they report is filtered through their own experiences, likes and dislikes. It's the way people are. And since most reporters would fall on the liberal side of the spectrum, well, there is bias, even if it is unintentional. The answer to all this, of course, is better reporting, more phone calls, more questions. Sometimes reporter get that luxury. But the evening news waits for no man. So sometimes we miss the target by a little and sometimes by a lot. That's not an excuse. It's just the reality.

My19, what about those multitudes of your fellows who, as I noted above, refuse to even attempt to learn about guns, or trains, or open-heart surgery? The ones who revel in their ability to shape public opinion without giving a damn about the consequences? The irresponsible fearmongers who scream and cry about Guns And The Evil People Who Own Them every time some nutbar goes off?

You seem to be OK, but the *willfully* ignorant in your profession need to be slapped with a wet haddock.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Coinneach, you're right. There are those people in the media biz who want to shape public opinion, or are deliberately provocative, who want a reaction, good or bad. And I'd bet it's true that if you polled every working journalist in America, you'd find that a majority -- and maybe a big majority -- are anti-gun ... and politically and socially liberal. But the vast majority go about their jobs as honorably as they can, with no conscious effort to sway people. I'm talking about reporters here, not columnists, not commentators, not the talk show hosts. But even the honorable reporters might let too much of themselves get into a story once in a while, their own feeilngs. It's not right. It's not good journalism. But it happens. ... That said, if someone is assigned to cover a story on guns, or heart surgery, they need to talk with as many experts as they can. And on every side of an issue. That's their job. And it's their job to take that information and use it to tell the story as straight as they can. ... And you're right. Sometimes we don't do very well at that. Maybe that slap with a haddock would help.

My19...

Too bad, I don't accept your analogy, i.e. farmer writing about open-heart surgery. Its an ineffectual, and self-serving statement.

Farmers writing about open-heart surgery don't influence anyone, and in such a case, it is far from policy or public scrutiny or anything that matters to anyone but the farmer in regards to his/her GED or JC grade.

Your job is to report facts as they are, not parse them nor write according to an accepted template. You wish to be considered professional, then develop professional and objective standards. When you get good enough or accepted enough, then you can become an editor....then your "professional" opinion is a paycheck...until then your report facts, period. As well you professional media folks should learn the damn language...syntax, grammar, punctuation and useage; rather than being the "personalities".

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

MY19: I'd buy the "over-worked and not omniscient" excuse, it if weren't for the HUNDREDS of corrections I've mailed and phoned into local newspapers over the years, without ANY of them being published... Because they were corrections to "mistakes" which supported the newspaper's editorial position. The nearest major paper, the Detroit Free Press, REVELS in "errors" about firearms, and NEVER corrects them, even if you send them reams of data proving that they've been had.

To extend your analogy, it may be ok to make a mistake about open-heart surgery. But when the surgeon calls you and sets you straight, and you refuse to issue a correction, YOU'VE JUST CONVERTED A MISTAKE INTO A LIE.

Another point: Newspapers which actually cared about the accuracy of their stories, and correctly informing their readers, would not bury the corrections in a tiny box on an inside page, they'd splash it across the front page, where people who'd read the original story might actually encounter the correction, too. Shout a lie, and whisper the apology, and I'm not going to take your remorse very seriously.

------------------
Sic semper tyranus!

Guys, guys, I agree with just about everything you're saying. A reporter's job is to report the facts, without embellishing. And I'd love to tell you that's what all journalists do. Of course, you know and I know that doesn't happen. No matter how objective any human tries to be, they filter what they write through their own experiences or likes and dislikes and the result is inevitably at least a little subjective. Sometimes it's a lot more. And if you see or hear factual inaccuracies, call or write the appropriate folks and they do nothing to correct them, well, they're wrong. I've made calls myself. Last week on one of the most popular talk radio shows in Texas, a guy called in and mentioned that the Glocks were completely plastic and designed to slip past metal detectors. I sent a detailed e-mail noting that the barrel, slide and inner workings were all metal and would trigger a detector in a nanosecond. No response, no correction. It annoyed me mightily. I know the frustration. But after 25 years in newsrooms, I'm not convinced that most rank and file reporters come to their jobs with specific agendas. Do they always make all the calls they should make for a fair and balanced story? No. Do they take shortcuts sometimes? Yeah, they do. They don't set out to mislead. But when we don't do our jobs the way we should, we end up misleading people, or getting things wrong. And even a seemingly insignificant error undermines our credibility. When I read bulletin boards like The Firing Line and Glocktalk, it's clear the media has little if any credibility left. I get the same impression when I talk with other groups -- born-again Christians, political conservatives, sometimes even political liberals. We have a lot of work to do to get better.

I too work in the news business and am mightily bothered by knowing that better than 85 percent of my colleagues routinely vote democratic.

All this is a sore spot with me as I used to be a linotype operator and tramped around the country for 10+ years (50s and 60s).

During that time I worked in a lot of weeklies and two dailies. I got to know a lot of reporters and a few editors. ALL of them looked on Truth as their Holy Grail, and woe unto a reporter who screwed up a story up more than once.

My19 - "I'm not convinced that most rank and file reporters come to their jobs with specific agendas."

I have to disagree. I think that today, most do have an agenda (well, it's for a GOOD cause), and it's only the few who are trained in the REAL meaning of the Fourth Estate that just report the facts.

Case in point. A friend of mine and his buddy took out their new fishing boat. About
5 miles off the coast of Long Beach, CA, the boat sprung a leak, rolled over and sank. My buddy got out, his buddy didn't. The Coast Guard was there in 15 minutes.

The local reporter comes around, and after getting a few facts, says, "So, because of the cutbacks in funding for the Coast Guard, your buddy died." No, let me repeat . . .
Reporter: "So, because the Coast Guard was spread so thin, your buddy died." My buddy threw the guy out.

Whether this guy thought he had an expose, or the editor told him to slant it, I don't know. I do know my buddy has now joined the bulk of us who distrust ALL newspapers.

The biggest offenders, in my eyes, are those who work for the Associated Press. I have never seen a gun control article by them that wasn't heavily slanted against gun ownership and often bordered on an HCI handout.

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

Back