Accubond Performance

ligonierbill

Two bullets were recovered for me in Namibia, both just under the hide, one from the red hartebeest and the other from the kudu. Fired from a 338 Win Mag at average 2,929 fps at about 200m. They look like Nosler advertisements, but as you can see, they lost some weight. FWIW.

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 89
Congratulations on a successful hunt!

I've found with the regular Accubond that either your rifle likes them, or it really does NOT like them.
Alas, mine seem to be in the second camp.
My 7mm's are going to be shooting the 150gr ABLR this year.
And since i couldn't get any 25 caliber 115gr Ballistic Tips, i'll be using other bullets this year.
100gr Ballistic Tips in the 250Savage.
115gr Berger VLD in the 257 Roberts.
120gr Partition in the 257 Roberts AI.

Congrats on the hunt!

Your impact velocity looks like it would have been somewhere around 2450 at 200 meters, which would be right about in the middle of Nosler's impact velocity range. Since your photo isn't from the side, I can't really compare to Nosler's middle photo. This article, near the end, suggests a 338 should retain more, but he's not talking about the same weight bullet.

The Accubond is designed to lost 40% of its weight.

Looks like they basically did exactly what they were supposed to do.

Thanks for sharing.

"My 7mm's are going to be shooting the 150gr ABLR this year."

I wish you luck. I've been trying to get useable accuracy from that bullet for over a year. So far, results in three rifles chambered to 7x57 and another in .280 Remington have been a bust. I was hoping for better results in the 7x57s as I think that bullet would be perfect in that cartridge. The only 7MM I haven't tried them in is a 7MM Rem. Mag. I wish you luck in your quest. I'd be interested in hearing about your results as well.
Paul B.

Accubonds have performed very well for me in various cartridges.
130 and 140 grn in .270 winchester
140 grn in 6.5 Creedmoor
165 in 3006 and .308
168 in both 7 mauser and Rem Mag.
Those 150's never grouped for me with different powders in my 7 mag, but 168's are golden, and Im pushing those to 3000.

The ABLR has been really easy for me to load.
Not too picky on seating depth. I typically load them 0.020-0.030" off the lands.
But i have rather forgiving magazines.

7mm Rem Mag is a Savage 111. Using RL23, RL26. They really shine at 600 yards & further!
Ruger 77 MKII in 280 Rem is using Alliant PP4000MR.
Whitworth Mark X, rebarreled in 284 Win i'm using RL19.

I really wish they would come out with like a 110gr ABLR in 25 caliber!

Appearance aside, I should point out that they dropped some tough old critters like the Hammer of Thor. I was thinking to go to the Barnes 210s, but it's hard to argue with success.

Back