Accidentally Got a New Project Today

dakota.potts

8Dvb3Qpl.jpg

Went to the local gun store today for a couple boxes of .22 ammo to shoot this weekend. I passed a Smith Corona 03A3 sitting on the counter that I had been looking at for at least 4 or 5 months now. It was a sporter in pretty decent mechanical condition with some stock damage that they were asking an unreasonable (IMO) price for. At $600, it was fun to look but not something I would consider.

My impression of the gun is that it was hunted pretty regularly and was carried far more than it was fired. Bluing is probably 95%+ condition, with the deep black-blue chrome continuing uninterrupted and unfaded along most of the gun. A couple scratches on the barrel, and the most wear on the bolt and raceways of the receiver. At a quick glance of the gun, it looks like somebody has just taken the parts out of the bluing tank and dusted them with oil for a week or so. Really great in most areas and appears to be a high grade (800 grit or higher equivalent) polish. Bore looks sharp from what I can tell and crown seems to be in good shape.

Today I noticed the little note card hanging beside it that had a series of sale offers on it. It seemed they dropped the sale price $50 every few weeks, and currently it was sitting there for $399. I took a picture to send to my dad who has always wanted one, and he sent me a text message immediately telling me to pick it up. I had already made it out to my car with the .22 ammo, so I went back into the store and started paperwork on it.

RDThqpGl.jpg

It will need a little work. We have been talking for several months about me doing a custom rifle project for him. He has always wanted a "classic" .30-06 with a wood stock, iron sights, and leather sling. To him, that's about a perfect rifle. I was going to start from a stripped action and barrel, but this rifle offers off a pretty good jumping off point.

I am going to visit next week and will bring the rifle for us to shoot and see what he wants done to it. Here's what I'm thinking needs to be done:

*The stock needs repair or replacement. The plastic forend has a crack running almost the entire width of the stock near the plastic tip. There is a sizable chip behind the tang and a couple significant gouges near the buttpad. If we keep the stock, it will need to be repaired in these places and refinished. I'll likely remove the plastic forend tip and shape a new one out of a nice exotic wood (African Blackwood most likely) and maybe fit a new recoil pad to replace the thin plastic piece that's on there now. The stock will get a high-gloss hand-rubbed oil finish regardless.

*The trigger has got to be one of the worst I have felt on a rifle ever. It has a mile and a half of takeup before a long, gritty trigger pull. It has no noticeable stacking in its second page, being a consistent gritty roll and no indication at all of when it is going to break. When pulled slowly, it will seem to hit a wall where it refuses to move and if more pressure is applied will break with no hint of when it is going to do so. Truly strange. Timney triggers run only $50 for this gun and will likely serve a worthwhile investment.

*Will likely end up bedding the stock regardless of what choices I make, as well as refinishing some small parts with a unique finish and adding a custom pistol grip cap.

*If the barrel shoots well, I will leave it alone. If worst comes to worst, I will fit a new Criterion barrel, but that means some reaming of the chamber and having to polish and blue the new barrel to match, something I'd rather not do if it shoots fine as is.

*If he likes the sights, I will leave them alone. I like the rear sight (anybody know anything about this sight?) But the front sight blade is so infuriatingly thin that it goes out of focus entirely for me and it looks like I'm looking through the rear peep at nothing. This could be my astigmatism, but I'm thinking it's just a poorly matched set up.

Dm5aRhMl.jpg

Looks like a nice find.
And... I think that's the original rear sight.

---

My thoughts:
Ackley improve it.

Drill some scope mount holes into the chamber.

Use a grinder to remove the stripper clip guide.

Scratch some random initials in the worst possible place.

"Polish" most of the serial number way.

Counter-bore it with a hand drill, because old crowns can't be trusted.

Convert it (poorly) to use detachable magazines.

Spray paint the stock to hide the cracks and scratches.

And epoxy a leather sling to the barrel and trigger guard.

Should fix her right up! ;)

You're right about it being the original rear sight. Call it a brain fart. For some reason I was expecting the ladder style peep to be the original.

I believe you've got a good list of improvements going. My biggest question is how does that involve all the gloss black Krylon I bought to re-do the stock?

Yeah, that fore-end tip looks like it's got to have some attention. But other than that, if it were mine, I think I could live with the other slight blemishes. Adds character. I'd stay with that rear sight, too, with no temptation to put a scope on it.

I am sure you understand what happened to the stock at the tang.

The fine front sight looks GI, too. Once upon a time you could get sporting front sights with bead or Sourdough blade or even target globe to fit 03 and A3. Might be an ebay search now.

I was able to enlarge the picture a bit and see that it is indeed a commercial ramp instead of the GI base I thought it was.

You can probably put on about any front sight you (or he) likes.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be difficult to swap out like you say. I found I could get the front sight blade to focus but I had to run my head way up on the stock and creep my nose over the wrist to do so. Whoever chose this sight must have had better eyes than I do.

I understand the temptation to leave the stock alone but it is not a particularly impressive piece to begin with and dad wants a gun that I've worked on in school... so the stock is the first major piece to be improved or replaced

Looks like an old Bishop or Fajan stock, guess its plastic butt plate reveals which one. As an owner of a small number of 1903A-03 rifles both sporterized and still military, lol, I'd put a decent recoil pad on it. Rest of stock has minor problems that are easy to fix, well for me anyway....do stock work.

As too its military trigger, I'd take it off, do a good cleaning, check out its sear (and sear on cocking piece) for wear or badly done honing. Yep, a timney trigger would help, but the cocking piece sear on bolt could still be a problem.

If I do end up keeping the stock, I believe I will replace the forend tip and recoil pad. I hate the plastic tips... cheapens the look to me. I'd make a forend tip out of African blackwood with a maple spacer as well as a maple spacer for the new recoil pad to replace the current white trim. Maybe add a custom pistol grip cap as well. Stock could use a good refinish too. But we'll see what happens with that. We'll shoot it this week, hopefully Thursday, and make a list of improvements.

Good call on the sear. I have heard it's not uncommon to get one that somebody tried to do trigger work on to improve the two stage pull. Definitely feels like somebody might have tried to "polish" something and ended up rounding a sear surface. Lots of gritty engagement before an unclear break. I'll examine the cocking piece to make sure that hasn't been monkeyed with.

Also looked at the recoil pad on the stock. It's marked Herter's.

Last edited:
That's a decent-looking stock for a hunting rifle. I'd repair what's practical and ignore the rest.

The metal is up to a hundred years old, and if that's a Bishop or Fajen the stock can be over half that.

That chip looks like what happens when the recoil lug isn't properly bedded. It has probably been there since the first box of ammo went through it...

The serial number dates the rifle to 1944. Metal finish is in very good condition. Somebody obviously took a lot of time and effort to get this to a nice blue and it has been well taken care of since.

I am thinking the same thing about the chip at the tang. That rear surface will probably need to be opened up slightly and bedded.

As far as the stock, nobody in my family hunts including myself. Dad just always wanted a .30-06 with wood stock and iron sights. That's what he feels is proper in a rifle. He liked the custom walnut stock I did on my Montana rifle build and wanted one similar to it. Is there any value in keeping the stock or keeping the rifle as it is? Or is there just nostalgia attached to the sporters? I was under the impression that any real value (historic or otherwise) was gone by being made into a common sporter and was going to modify it further to our liking, but it seems there's a lot of hesitation here to do anything with it. Is it just that most people wouldn't go through the trouble of repairing or replacing the stock? Any reason not to fit a new stock to it?

The only value at this point is what you decide. It's lost it's original value when it was blued and sporterized. There are a large number of us out here that hold the sporters in a class of their own, lots of butcher jobs but a lot more nicely done conversions. They are often passed down from one generation to the next and there are some very high line rifle makers that produced some very expensive rifles based mainly off the 1903 vs the later 1903A3.
You can work the trigger but frankly if you wanted the original two stage military trigger, you'd probably want to buy new old stock part. They are readily available as surplus parts for these. The same one that fits the 1903 also fits the Remington and Smith Corona 1903A3's. The one in the rifle may have been played with so thus I suggest starting over. I have several with Timiney triggers, and they work very well so that's a good solution. It's a good idea to check the cocking piece as you mentioned, those are available too.
If the barrel is original it will be one of two, a two groove, a four groove. Smith Corona didn't make a 2 but Remington did and it may have been replaced with one on an overhaul. Smith made 6 groove and 4 groove barrels, the latter were in the ones mainly after sometime in mid 43.

I will also tell you that Smith Corona receivers are the hardest of the lot. A lot of smiths won't drill them for that reason, too many broken bits etc, so if you entertain doing that, use very high end bits and anneal the spots where you are going to drill the holes.

Other than that, go nuts and have fun. Stocks are out there but lately they have been going up in price due to demand to restore dads old gun. Used to get them for $40-60 bucks, now $100 and up is the norm.

Good luck

Shot it today with Dad. Had to go to the indoor range so 25 yards standing only but enough to get the feel for it. Recoil is surprisingly very pleasant. Point of impact with 150 grain ammo already close enough to put in the 10 ring but we will be changing the front sight.

Trigger is still awful and round #7 gave me a dead trigger. That scared me because something is obviously wrong so I won't be shooting it more until that's dealt with. Don't have the tools to examine it as I'm home on break but hopefully the timney trigger fixes it and the cocking piece is unmolested.

We agreed on getting an XX Walnut semi inlet stock unfinished from Boyd's as a replacement. Will probably do a custom Forend tip and a surprise on the pistol grip cap

Back