Accessorizing Mak90 (Chicom) - sights/stock options?

cornered rat

I handled a Mak-90 today and was pleasantly surprised by its handling. It comes with a "small" drum magazine (Chinese, the dealer though it held 50-something rounds - can it be reliable?) that was perfect for a handrest (similar to Hammerli .22 pistol supports) which would be nice for off-hand shooting. I am thinking of using it for 25m range plinker.

I have some concerns about it and hope you can help me.I notices the thumbhole stock was a little awkward and loose. How hard is it to install synthetic Choate stock?

I like peep sights and can get Williams sight for $25. I wonder about its durability, though...also, how easy or hard is it to use a peep sight that's half-way down the gun rather than on the recceiver or the tang?

The bolt hestitates in coming forward when dran back: could it be just lack of lubrication or something more serious?

Finally, can anyone point me to a site with take-down instructions? What should I watch for besides seized up gas tube?

CR why not replace the thumbhole with a pistol grip kit with one of the legal conversion kits? Make it look right. The AK does not have a bolt lock, however the bolt on my Maadi will stay to the rear if you cycle it slow. It has never done this while firing and I have not worried about it. Do they all do that? The AK is a great gun I really like mine. The best thing about them is you can make a "poor man's machinegun" Hold the gun away from your body with your left hand. Extend youe trigger finger into the trigger gaurd. Do not touch the rifle with your right hand. Pull the trigger into your trigger finger and let the recoil do the rest. It takes a little practice but I can burn through a 30 in no time!

Later
Daren

I might get that kit, but I admit to finding the thumbhole more comfortable to hold than a pistol grip on a Romanian AK I tried the same day. If I get the gun, it will be tomorrow, so I hope to get most info possible on it.

I've had a MAK 90 since about '92 and haven't had any trouble with it. The boltcarrier hesitation experienced when manually cycling is caused by the hammer catching on the underside of the carrier. This will never happen while shooting.

If it's a stamped AK, the stock change should be as easy as removing one screw on the receiver tang and another from the bottom of what should be the pistol grip. Milled AK's are a little different in the buttstock attachment, having a upper and lower tang in the original configuration (usually the lower tang is removed on thumbhole versions).

I've found my MAK, with standard sights, to be surprisingly accurate. Hits on rabbit-sized (and actual rabbits) targets at 100 yards, offhand, are no problem.

Try: http://www.ak-47.net/ for more information and whatnot.

Takedown couldn't be simpler:
1) Remove dust cover: push the square plunger at the rear of the dust cover in while pulling up on the dust cover.
2) Push plunger and recoil spring toward front of rifle, then lift, pull rearward, and remove.
3) Pull bolt carrier all the way to the rear, lift up, and remove.
4) Rotate bolt and pull forward to remove from carrier (you shouldn't need to disassemble the bolt any more than this)
5) On the right side of the rear sight base, rotate the lever up and back to free the gas tube, which will lift up and forward.

That's about all you ever need to do for standard maintenance. I haven't had any gas tube problems.

Here's a Mak-90 question I'd like answered:

I have a post-bush ban pre-clinton ban mak 90 with a THREADED BARREL in 223.

How do I know If sec 922r applies to my gun or not when it comes to replacing the thumbhole stock with a military or side folder? (The USAS stock kit/parts kit won't work to convert mine since the magazine followers won't FIT a .223 magazine.)

My understanding was that HR 922 r applied to rifles imported AFTER the Clinton ban???

Anyone? Anyone?

I'd sure like to make it "look right". Those stocks the mak-90's shipped with are about as ergonomic as a boat anchor.

Dr.Rob

RPB (see thier ads in the shotgun news) makes a bolt hold open device that fits all AK's for about $20 (it replaces the safty selector)

Coolest AK accessory (esp if you have a 223) is a Valmet ejection port buffer. (Got mine from Cape Outfitters) Snaps on to the standard chinese dust cover and SAVES your brass for reloading.

E. German "night sites (glow in the dark) were really cheap for a while anbyone try these?

Dr.Rob

Dr Rob My maadi is also post-bush pre-Klinton. It is my understanding and I do believe I am correct that you MUST have less than 10 imported parts and a side folder is a no-no. Then 89 ban is also a cosmetic ban just like 94. The only real diference that I see is 94 ban makes POSESSION a crime. 89 ban made ASSEMBLY a crime, with rifle subject to caonfiscation. If you assembled your rifle with too many EVIL features you would have assembled a rifle banned from importation. A no-no.

Hope this helps

Later
Daren

Several years back I bought a MAK 90. When I got home I found that in front of the trigger, where the extension of the back of the magazine would lock up,above the mag release lever,a stop had been inserted so that ONLY magazines relieved in that area such as the 10 rounders that came with the gun, would lock in place. Regular magazines wouldn't work, and either the receiver had to have the stop removed, or each mag had to be modified. Something told me that regardless of what the law said, BATF would probably call it a felony to modify the gun or the mags. I figured getting rid of the thing was easier, though I dropped some bucks to do so. I have no idea what ever happened with that situation. Anyway, check the durn thing out to make sure it takes standard clips.

I got mine specifically for use with drums and made sure they functionedbefore buying. Regular 30s work too. Thanks for the hint, though.

Back