Accessorize my Mountain Gun

vampyre

Inactive
I've wanted a 4" .44Mag since I traded my last one off fifteen years ago. I recently found a used Mountain Gun in good condition at a price I could abide with and it followed me home.

Thanks to Tamara I've found the holster I want and ordered it from PWL. Now for general field carry, hunting and IDPA use it's time to accessorize :cool:

The rear sight blade is slightly loose and bent (wonder if that happened when the last owner fired his first 240gr full powered load? N frames don't bounce.) I take it that S&W has changed the style sight they use as this one is inletted down into the frame and the tang is round where the sight on my older 6" 629 is bolted to the top with a square tang. The mountain gun also has three screw holes in the rear sight mortise, is this stock? Any suggestions for a replacement sight? Night sights?

I've always used Safariland Comp I speedloaders, has anything better come out and I've missed it? I've been dallying with semiauto's way too much the past several years.

I'm open to other suggestions, BTW the Artemis Revolver is a beauty, but I'll forgo any engraving for now.

Rick

I take it that S&W has changed the style sight they use as this one is inletted down into the frame and the tang is round where the sight on my older 6" 629 is bolted to the top with a square tang. The mountain gun also has three screw holes in the rear sight mortise, is this stock?
Yes, the new tenon is different, and it won't interchange with the older style.:( The three holes are to allow for easier scope mounting, should you choose to do so. I'm sorry to hear about the bent sight blade. AFAIK, they still are changed out as in the past.(!@#$%) :D

I've always used Safariland Comp I speedloaders, has anything better come out and I've missed it?
Only the Comp II, which has a larger locking knob. :cool:

The rear sight is only slightly bent, I didn't notice it in the store, just when I got it home on the bench doing the post purchase inspection and cleaning. It doesn't affect accuracy a whit :)

Victor,
I thought the holes were for a scope mount, just couldn't believe they did that on a Mountain Gun.

Joe,
The Wiegand sight looks a bit bulky for the MG, but I think it'd be a great addition to the 6" Classic Hunter.
(Rick's credit cards go :eek: :eek: :eek: )

I wondered about recoil with the MG, my 240 gr. JHP loads are snappy, but my powder puff target load using a cast 240 SWC and 7.2 of Unique seems more accurate out of the MG than the CH. Now I'm experimenting with a slightly reduced 200gr JHP load for carry/medium game.

I'm in love again:)

Rick

Accessories? I thought they were called cartridges?

Seriously, invest in a good holster and some range time. The 44 takes some shooting to get used to.

Back