Acceptable choke to shoot slugs

My Benelli M1 ( the only shotgun i have with screw in tubes) absolutely LOVES slugs thru its Modified tube. Slug groups are about 25% smaller with that tube then any other.

That gun/choke combo likes the Rem Low recoil slug ammo.

Try different chokes. The tightest may not shoot the best. You gotta test em all

Test not only the chokes, but a variety of slugs as well. One choke/slug combo might be great but changing one of those two components might totally suck.

THE most accurate smoothbore slug shooter I have ever seen was a '60s plain barrel Wingmaster with a modified choke. But, I have never seen any other similar gun come close. As noted, experiment with different slugs and chokes with YOUR gun.

The standard ancient wisdom is to shoot slugs from a cylinder bore, for best accuracy. My experience is that each gun & ammo combination is an individual, and while many follow the same patterns some don't.

If your modified or full choke gun shoots well with slugs, then it does, where an identical gun might not.

Forster type "rifled" slugs can SAFELY be fired through any choke. The "rifling" on the slugs (actually fins, having nothing to do with spin) are there to allow the slug to compress and safely pass through chokes.

Some choked guns are more accurate with them than others. Some are accurate with brand/load A and not with B, etc.

You just have to shoot some, and see.

I agree with that part about shooting through any choke. I pulled some different brands of .410 slugs once and took a mic to them. Most were really under the bore size. On the other hand, my old man cut a punkin ball out of a shell (12 gage, I remember it had cork packed around it) and dropped it down the tube. It got stuck down by the choke. I was just a kid at the time. I later figured the ball was probably cast so out of round that it got stuck because of that. I don't know for sure, punkin balls are a little rough to find anymore.

Back