Acceptable accuracy

Kermit

Went shooting yesterday. Realized that if pushed, my accuracy take a big of a hit. 6 rounds alternating DA/SA onto 3 different targets as quickly as possible at 15-20 yards, my groups were in the 4" plus size. I was practicing my DA/SA transition at 6" targets. Normally I have well centered shots at that distance. My question is this...is this accuracy acceptable for me to compete in IDPA? I'm planning on my 1st match soon & I'm trying to determine if I'm ready or not...

banjobart is right. A-zone on IDPA target is 8 inch circle. Everything in the circle counts same value, No bonus for sub 5" groups.

Speed up until you are at the outer edges of the 8" circle. That is you max speed for IDPA.

As to your last question, you're ready to start matches accuracy wise. The other things you'll need to get good at are the draw and fire, shooting under time pressure, etc. IDPA clubs are always very helpful. Jump in with both feet and enjoy yourself.

I forget which of the Great USPSA shooters said it, but it goes something like "If you're getting all "A's" you're shooting too slow."

GAME vs STREET

I prefer more accuracy from my carry/competition guns, more on the order of under 3" at 25yds.
This is my maximum allowable group size.

I choose accuracy for the confidence it gives me (dreamy scenarios of BG head-shots while holding my wife/daughters) and the reality of my ability -- I need to have a gun that is capable of delivering a bullet in my 'cone of wobble'.

For game who cares? Just a game. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my game, but game is NOT real life.)

Kermit: just go play, be safe have fun. But play with your gun like real life; don't play one way but carry another.

DA/SA? You gonna carry that way? Cocked-n-locked, brother.....

(Even my comped Open gun wears iron sights and was drawn from Galco Yaqui Slide.)

----------------------------------------------------

"all my handguns are carry AND competition handguns"

Back