Academy has the EBRs back on the rack

Glenn E. Meyer

Maybe someone reported this before but I don't recall. I went to Academy (sports store in TX and elsewhere). They had removed the ARs, etc. from the shelves in June.

Well, they had loads today. Clerk said they had been back for a month. I guess there wasn't a big splash about it. He said they had lost a good deal of sales because of the removal.

One would think that anyone who.would want a AR would have one or two by now. Currently is there any demand for them?

Don't shop much at Academy. Last time I did shop there (August this year) there were plenty on the shelves.

Might just be local; but as a side note, they have some of the worst sales procedures I have ever encountered in buying firearms in my entire life. They actually inject errors into the process by over-complicating the process.

They pulled the AR's after the Miami shooting to be politically correct and caught a bunch of backlash over it. So now that they put them back on the shelves we're supposed to forgive and forget.
I didn't

Academy had always treated me well, may be a local thing.

When purchasing from academy, they always had the best price on guns. Purchasing simple: fill out form, go pay, go home.

I feel that the stores have a right to sell or not sell whatever items it wishes.

I think more people are still wanting ARs, I hear random conversations in public now, as well as at work. This is fairly new.

Currently is there any demand for them?

No, of course not. Nobody buys an AR15, or 6. :rolleyes: Heck, Colt and Springfield have just come out with new models in the last 3 weeks.

They pulled the AR's after the Miami shooting to be politically correct and caught a bunch of backlash over it. So now that they put them back on the shelves we're supposed to forgive and forget.
I didn't

Forgive? They are not asking for forgiveness, LOL. Their renewed sales will show how happy the consumers are to have Academy selling ARs again.

The truth is so many people really don't care or simply didn't take personal offense to Academy's marketing choices.

In the long term (& even the short term, most of the time) any business makes decisions based on profits. That's what corporations do - one goal, no soul. (& the goal is profit). Short term decisions based on political correctness and public image have to yield to profit, otherwise a business ceases to exist.

I buy ammo or guns where they are available at the best price, & I don't expect a business to have values.

Academy can be forgiven. It's business.

Academy has the best prices among the large firearms retailers. It's not even close.

Cabelas and Bass Pro charge MSRP, and their sale prices are every day Academy prices. Gander Mountain is always the worst, with prices higher than MSRP, and useless and rude sales staff. Charging prices that are above MSRP is a bigger insult than removing ARs.

The bad thing about Academy is that they have poor selection. However, Gander Mountain will match Academy internet prices. That's one good thing about Gander Mountain.

All of my complete new firearms purchased in the last decade were purchased at academy. Could never find a lower price anywhere

In TX, GT Distributors and some dealers at the Saxet gun show do better than Academy. Academy is better than most LGS, Bass, Cabelas and Gander.

I like cdnn but they have no storefront that I know of. It's housed in Abilene. But, haven't ordered anything from them in years.

Academy frequently has some great sale prices on ammo (for me, that is shotgun target stuff). Orders over $25 get free shipping to my door; cheaper than buying local even with the sales tax I have to pay (they have stores in my state, just not close to me).

At the Lawton, OK Academy store the AR-15 rifles went away for about one month. They have been back on the racks for awhile now.

Went there today to look at handguns and they had a wide number evil rifles available. Not Just ARs either. AKs, Tavors, Mini 14s, CZ Brens, Beretta ARX, Sig MPX, P90,CETME. Way cooler collection than when I worked at one

Back