Academic question - could the perp who attacked the Congressman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knife-Wielding Man Kills 8 Children at Japanese School
By CALVIN SIMS
Published: June 9, 2001

IKEDA, Japan, June 8— A deranged man armed with a kitchen knife stormed into an elementary school here this morning and began stabbing students and teachers, a murderous rampage that has stirred outrage and soul-searching in this normally safe country. Eight children were killed and at least 15 people wounded.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B02E6DC143EF93AA35755C0A9679C8B63

You bet. If he was skllled, strong, and determined. But no
doubt a Glock 19 with an extended mag would be more
efficient for most attackers. He has to be within striking
distance for each knife attack.

I will tell you right now that I would rather get shot with a
9mm pistol than get thrust/slashed with a knife. Your chances are
better with the bullet. I came to this conclusion during my
bowhunting days. I was totally amazed at how quick a single
run-through with a broadhead would bring down big game.
With one good knife thrust/slash, you will bleed out very quick.

dxr

It takes less skill, less practice and less personal contact to do the same amount of damage with a Glock as with a knife. Stabbing someone is very personal while shooting can be less so. There's also less opportunity for the intended victims to fight back.

Maybe he could have used a pipe bomb instead. That is what the libs don't realize, if someone wants to take someone else out, there are a plethora of means to accomplish this.

If he waded into the crowd slashing and stabbing, he could have wreaked a lot of damage in the ensuing confusion.

Maybe he could have used a pipe bomb instead. That is what the libs don't realize, if someone wants to take someone else out, there are a plethora of means to accomplish this.

Or driven a car into the crowd at a high rate of speed.

Anything that has a use has a misuse, and evil will find the misuse.

It depends on how athletic and skilled they are.
An untrained person would have a much easier time wrestling away an empty Glock than a bladed weapon. You cannot exactly grab a knife blade safely during a struggle (at least not without massive amounts of luck or serious training).

The only problem with all of these comments is that he didn't use a knife, a sword, a pipe bomb, a revolver, or a single shot shotgun. The fact of the matter is, he used the best tool for the job. It's what you'd pick to do the same thing, isn't it?

The best tool? Depends on desired effect. I think McVeigh showed us there are much more effective tools for inflicting massive casualties.

But generally, gun beats knife, axe, bat, or pointed stick.

The only problem with all of these comments is that he didn't use a knife, a sword, a pipe bomb, a revolver, or a single shot shotgun. The fact of the matter is, he used the best tool for the job. It's what you'd pick to do the same thing, isn't it?

For an assasination? Mass killing? Not that I would do one but a pistol is a poor choice. Rifles and explosives are much better and you stand a chance of getting away.

The fact he used a pistol high capacity or not shows some of his frame of mind. He didn't care who knew he did it, if he was caught, or if he died.

I think it was an act of power, wrath, and lunacy. I don't think much was calculated in it and if all he had was a knife he would have used it or anything else.

I agree with you. All of these threats, rock throwing, burnings and so on are acts of power, wrath and lunacy. Frequently they have the desired effect, too. Frankly, it takes a lot of nerve to be an elected official in this country, when so many are basically saying that violence is acceptable if you don't like the results of the election. You may wish to argue that point. However, of all attempts on the life of the president so far, one rifle was use, the others handguns.

Mithridates: A belated welcome to TFL! We all knew that a new gun law would be the liberal reaction to this, but what can you tell us about the specifics on what they're proposing? If you have any info, it's probably best to post in the "Law And Civil Rights" section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back