? about S&W P99

ATTICUS

A friend of mine just bought one of these. He tells me that it has no external safety. Is this true? With all of he safety hoopla going on these days I find this hard to believe.

Be aware that this does not really make them any less safe that most other double-action auto pistols. The SW99/P99s have a button built into the slide for uncocking the striker. The gun is designed to be carried uncocked so that the relatively long, heavy trigger pull acts as the "safety" (just like almost all double-action revolvers, which almost never have any sort of manual safety).

While other double-action autos often have a decocking lever that looks like a safety lever, they are generally carried with these "safeties" off - relying on the long heavy double action trigger to prevent unintentional firing, just like the SW99/P99. The lever is just to allow the cocked hammer to be lowered safely. Some won't even stay on "safe" after the hammer is uncocked.

I believe there are a few double-action autos that have "real" safeties - such as the CZ75 and HK USP. I think the idea with them is that you can carry them EITHER with the hammer down and the safety off (as described above) or COCKED with the safety on (which many would consider a little "less safe" than an uncocked double-action without a safety). I don't think the CZ75 will even let you put the safety on unless the hammer is cocked, but I'm not sure of this, or about this capability with the USP.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't worry about the safety aspects of the SW99 or Walther P99 (almost the same gun). My only concern would be that illogical gun laws might ban pistols without a "manual safety" (regardless of whether there is any reason to have one on the particular design). Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by DougB (edited January 17, 2000).]

DougB is right on. If you get the chance to shoot your friends gun give it a try. After you compare the decocked position (FIRST SHOT ) with the following shots you will relize that you won't fire the gun on accident. Pulling the trigger is a long concess effort that won't happen on accident.

Great gun so far it eats everything but I have a problem with shooting low that S&W says may be a barrel defect. I want to bench/vise shoot it first before I send it back though to make sure it isn't opperator error. Don't let that stop you from buying one though. All models have a few in the bunch.

Back