? About ammo for IDPA.

Hoosier_Daddy

Thinking about trying local IDPA programs. I am confused about this "Power Floor" or "Power factor" thing.

What kind of ammunition do I need for a XDm 9mm (4.5" barrel)? I do not understand this chronograph test and I don't hand load any 9 mm so I don't know what ammo to buy I can use or shouldn't use.

Thank you.

Basically, the minimum "power factor" is just there to ensure that shooters are using "regular" loads and not low-power "target loads". To calculate the power factor for a particular load (shot from your particular gun), simply multiply the weight of the bullet (in grains) by the velocity (in feet per second). This is a measurement of the bullet's momentum, although you usually drop the units and just describe the power factor as "125,000" or even just "125" for short.

This chart shows the minimum required power factor for the various IDPA classes:

http://www.ccidpa.org/idpa-power.html

Any factory 9mm ammo will work. About the only time you will usually encounter a chronograph is a state or regional championship "sanctioned" match. With ammo prices the way they are, I'd buy the cheapest FMJ hardball.

Around here - I shoot WWB 9mm or PMC. Works fine. Had some problems with the Russian stuff.

Best price for the standard brands, is my usual choice. WalMart or Academy.

Back