ABC strikes again

GuttSmoke

Just got finished viewing 20/20 which should be renamed to Blind/Blind. The lil hussie Diane Sawyer did a spot on kids and guns. What a hacket job. Of course she started the whole segment off by quoting the false statistic about if you have a gun in the house you are much more likely to shoot a family member. If this isn't Communist Russia all over again I'll turn in all my weapons. Its so much Bravo Sierra

------------------
"Solidarity is the Key"

Well, at least the way you stated it, that's the truth! You would be MUCH less likely to shoot a family member without a gun. My preferred answer to that is "so what?" Drives 'em nuts.

I'll put it this way:

1. The men in my family have been a bunch of gun toters and avid hunters for at least 100 years (that I can confirm).

2. I practically grew up in a gun store (My dad owned one for the first 8 years of my life).

3. I've been around, and had access to, just about any type of gun you can think of all of my life--from black powder longrifles to so-called "assault rifles." I was well educated--I knew how to safely handle these guns at a very early age.

4. There has never been a situation in my family where anyone has been even close to being shot, whether intentionally or accidentally.

5. My one ND was in my house, while I was alone, and I put a nice hole in the floor right in front of me. My 1911 was safely pointed at the ground--not the wall, or the TV, or the door, or my neighbor's house, or my leg.

In my opinion, what it all boils down to, in regards to firearms in the home, is education. If someone doesn't take the time to educate their kids (or anyone for that matter), and they think they might gain access to your guns, keep them locked up (the guns, that is). That should be a personal judgement call.

The education goes for adults as well as kids. For example, my 70-something grandmother wanted something for the house "just in case." So my dad gets her a j-frame .38. Well, one night she think she hears something, so she decides to cock the gun. When she discovers that all is well, she doesn't know how to safely drop the hammer. So she takes it in the back yard and fires into the ground. Now if my dad (the former gun dealer and my instructor) had taken the time to educate his own mother as to the proper handling of her new Smith, she wouldn't have the problem. (Now that I'm thinking about it, I may just have to have a little talk with him.)

I think that a common problem nowadays is that people think that, because we live in a violent society, they should go right out and buy the first gun they see. Many don't bother to get educated. They think that the gun is just another home appliance that can be left laying about the house. I can just see it--an uneducated gun owner has some friends over and shows off the new Jennings .25 he/she just bought at the corner pawn shop. He/she passes it around, and everyone "ooohh"s and "ahhh"s over it, and then they set it back on the coffee table. Then little 4 year-old Johnny is sitting down watching the late-late movie as his parents are out front saying farewell to their friends. Johnny decides he wants to be like mommy and daddy and picks up the gun--"Gee, I've always seen these things on the late-late movies. I wonder how they work."---BANG--he shoots his little sister in the head.

EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION!!!

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I thought I'd just put in my $.02.

[This message has been edited by Bulldog (edited May 22, 1999).]

AD's.....I as of yet have never had one...but as Iwas taught and its the same as you said , never point a firearms at anything you dont want to destroy...........Ive a friend from work who had never shot a firearms and bought a glock,,,,so I offered to help and at the range this gy repeats the safety procedures that Ive told him......now Im behind him and he shooting at the target one shot at a time and after the first couple of shots---before I can react turns the pistol towards his head and looks in the barrel with his finger in the trigger----(a definite darwin award canidate here)----I had to restrain myself, because this clown had his finger in the trigger, once he turns the gun back around i have him put it on the counter and I disarm the firearm and ask him...to go over what he had just done---he apparently had no recollection of having done it, we went back to basics and didnt shoot anymore till later---it seems that there were other problems as well right master handed and left master eyed.......I believe he sold that firearm....fubsy.

My siblings and I grew up surounded by drugs (my father was a doctor), but not one of us ever tried them, nor are any of us addicts. In fact, most of us seek out alternatives to traditional medicine.

Echoing Bulldog, Education, education, education.

Not hystrionics (sp?).

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

www.countdown9199.com

I've never had an A.D. and I've owned guns since I was 15.

Used to come home from school (Catholic H.S.), take my .22 rifle or .32ACP Mauser 1910 pistol to the basement and fire away into old newspapers and later a steel trap. And this was in Chicago in the 60s!

Later when I got a .45 I would warn my mom upstairs when I was gonna cut loose so she wouldn't jump out of her skin. (I also made sure the cat was upstairs, too! :) )

I NEVER had parental supervision and never a thought about wasting classmates. (I must confess I have plenty of fantasies NOW about wasting politicians and corrupt judges!)

I raised two sons who grew up accustomed to loaded guns in the house. I let them hold them and shoot them at an early age to take away the forbidden-fruit allure. It worked. Guns are no big deal to them.

I was also careful the explain that the violence in movies was only make believe and in real life there are consequences for your actions.

Back