ABC News chat

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
At 1200 Eastern, some talking head, Don Dahler will be hosting a chat about the Granada Hills shooting. Of course it's moderated, but mayhap one of us can sneak in a comment. I've posted, "These attacks will continue until people decide to start fighting back, instead of being unarmed, easy prey."

http://chat.abcnews.go.com/chat/chat.dll?Chat?room=shooting990811

------------------
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil.
Vote Libertarian - For A Change.

Just one of the responses I recieved while on the chat.

I wish I could have stayed longer...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>BertPro from [209.193.214.145], at 3:33pm ET
John/az2 -- Whoa! No one said anything about banning the Constitution -- just updating it to make sense in these times. No one needs assault weapons for hunting or self-protection, so the right to bear arms should not be stretched to the ridiculous limits of allowing the import, sale, manufacture or possession of these types of weapons by the average Joe. And, don't forget -- If you're such a strict constructionalist that you believe we should abide by every word exactly as written by the framers of the Constitution over 200 years ago, gun licensing requirements should not be such a concern to you and other NRA types ("a well-REGULATED militia," you know). As to the warning about the government coming in and confisticatiing our sacred guns, I think that's just paranoia speaking. Also, what does RKBA mean? [/quote]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>John/az2 from [208.178.88.30], at 3:33pm ET
Yvette, the Constitution was written by men who knew first-hand the effects of a government run amok. The inclusion of the Bill of Rights was an enumeration of the rights of the people to defend themselves against such a government. Our founding fathers knew thier history and knew that it only takes time for the power hungry and corrupt to overtake a government and run rough-shod over those it was meant to serve. The 2nd Amendment, in particular, was included to remind the people that they have not only the RIGHT, but the OBLIGATION (if they value their freedom) to put the government back in it's place. Most of the time it is the force of arms that is required for that. Study your history and don't get caught up in the delusional "It can't happen here."
RKBA! [/quote]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>JohnG. from [208.252.208.206], at 3:37pm ET
While I support the principles of the Second Amendment, I can't believe that it can (or should) be interpreted to encompass the distribution and sale of military-style assault weapons among private citizens. Those guns are designed for one purpose--destruction of human life. [/quote]

Duh!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>JEN from [216.105.128.86], at 3:37pm ET
this is going to keep happening until the government does SOMETHING about the gun laws!!! [/quote]

And Rabbi Cooper's response...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Milton from [208.249.113.130], at 5:17pm ET
Rabbi Cooper,

While Israeli's have recognized the need to arm themselves for self-preservation (a move that has proven extremely successful) Jews in this country continue to be some of the most outspoken advocates of dis-arming law-abinding citizens. Why do you think that is, and do you think that the people of Israel would be as safe today if they were forced to deal with that same kind of thinking from their leaders?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rabbi Abraham Cooper at 5:24pm ET
I'm a proud citizen of the U.S. We have here the LAPD, the U.S. military -- we have in place institutions to protect our citizens -- sometimes they do a better job than others. We haven't had to fight a war on American soil since the American Civil War. In Israel, it's a small country, they've had to fight virtually every day since 1948 to exist. It's a citizen army. Because they've had to fight many wars, they've had to have their arms literally at their side. What you need to understand about Israel is: They have those guns and rifles not to protect themselves against domestic criminals but because they're the first line of defense. My hope would be that the kind of automatic weaponry that seems to be available to such individuals that create this kind of mayhem should disappear. There are parts of the US where you have a culture of hunting that's existed for generations. These are legitimate discussions to be debated without demonizing either point of view. But when you're talking about machine guns -- AK 47s etc. -- I, as a parent, would love to see the removal of those kinds of weapons from society even as we make sure that law enforcement has whatever it needs to serve and protect. [/quote]

I saw Mike in Va., and Coinneach there. Good comments, guys.

I'm afraid the gun-grabbing, Constitution burning emotionalists had the majority of the board....

Most of it is still there if you want to read it.

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

http://www.countdown9199.com

John,

I wonder if Rabbi Cooper(!) has heard of Rabbi Mermelstein... a gun-toting assault-weapons-owning slap-the-liberals-with-a-gefilte-fish rabbi if ever there was one.

------------------
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil.
Vote Libertarian - For A Change.

Looks like the Rabbi needs to read up on some American history if he thinks the last war to be fought on American soil was the Revolutionary War.
Hiker

Case in point guys - "well-regulated" at the time of the writing of the Second Amendment had the meaning of "well and properly equipped". Furthur, as you all probably know, under US Code (10 I think) all able-bodied citizens 18 to 45 are members of the militia...

Giz

------------------

"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta

What about "All male persons between 17 and 45?"

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Hiker:
Actually, he said "American Civil War."

I'm glad that we're showing the flag and all, but...

...this is a whole lot of energy directed to people whose minds are mostly made up. Wouldn't we do better to post elsewhere? I perused the board, and there's the ususal selection, from the low-pressure craniums that post and never look back, to the rabidly left to the staunch right.

Either way, we're not affecting them any. Would they affect YOU?

Better to spend that time politely writing your legislator, and remember that paper is best!

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Back