AAC 762 SDN-6 owners ...

agtman

For you guys who run these, how do you like them?

Have one in-bound to my SOT. Got it primarily for a .300Blk SBR build.

Any issues with the AAC T51 mount shaking loose, or baffle-strike issues?

Also, which do you preferred for the mount? The FH or the MB? Seems I've read some comments around the 'net to the effect that the T51 MB saves wear on the can ... (?)

Looking for experience & insight. Thanks.

The amount of rotational wiggle people experience has to do with where the ratchet on the can ends up in relation to the teeth on the mount once the can is fully mounted. Sometimes there's no wiggle at all because everything lines up perfectly, and it can get better or worse over time as things wear. And here's no possible way for the can to actually shake loose, at least not without something breaking (and I've never seen or heard of that happening).

Mine has some minor rotational wiggle when fully mounted, but it locks up pretty quickly once carbine starts building up. This doesn't seem to affect anything and it's a minor annoyance at worst.

As for the mount, all cans will benefit from a muzzle brake over a flash hider, at least theoretically. That's because the brake acts as an extra blast baffle and saves a little bit of wear on the can. However, like I said, it's theoretical; I don't know of anyone who has ever actually tested this effect, so I can't tell you how much real-life difference it actually makes.

I have one also. Use it on a 556 SBR, a 16" 556, a 300blk SBR, a 300blk boltgun and a 308win

It is a great do it all can....for my 300blk SBR, its a bit heavier then it needs to be. So ive got a Gemtech 300blk coming to dedicate to that gun

Overall, i think the SDN-6 is a wonderful first/only can

Mine has some minor rotational wiggle when fully mounted, but it locks up pretty quickly once carbine starts building up. This doesn't seem to affect anything and it's a minor annoyance at worst.

Thanks for the info. That had been a point of concern.

As for the mount, all cans will benefit from a muzzle brake over a flash hider, at least theoretically. That's because the brake acts as an extra blast baffle and saves a little bit of wear on the can. However, like I said, it's theoretical; I don't know of anyone who has ever actually tested this effect, so I can't tell you how much real-life difference it actually makes.

Several times, it seems, I've come across a comment from an SDN-6 user that the T51 MB lessens wear on the can by acting, as you stated, as a kind of extra baffle at the connection point.

Deciding to err on the side of that possibility, if true, since I plan to run it hard, I ordered the can w/ the MB instead of the FH.

Last edited:
I have one also. Use it on a 556 SBR, a 16" 556, a 300blk SBR, a 300blk boltgun and a 308win

It is a great do it all can....for my 300 blk SBR, its a bit heavier then it needs to be. So ive got a Gemtech 300blk coming to dedicate to that gun

Pretty much what I wanted in the SDN-6. Primarily as the can for my 10.5" 300 BLK barrel, but secondarily for my 10.5" 5.56.

By the way, in .300 BLK I'll be shooting both supersonic and the heavier subsonic loads (for hog hunting), so how's the report with supersonic ammo from this can? Still hearing-safe?

Same question for when I run it on my 556 SBR with typical 55gn fodder ... Am I still going to need plugs?

Thanks, guys. :cool:

Last edited:
agtman said:
By the way, in .300 BLK I'll be shooting both supersonic and the heavier subsonic loads (for hog hunting), so how's the report with supersonic ammo from this can? Still hearing-safe?

Same question for when I run it on my 556 SBR with typical 55gn fodder ... Am I still going to need plugs?
There is no silencer on the market that is "hearing safe". Period. They will all lead to permanent hearing loss over time. Silencers drastically cut down on noise-induced hearing loss, but they don't eliminate it.

The quietest suppressor firing 300 Blackout subsonics from the best host possible will meter around 120 - 125 dB, which is about as loud as a jackhammer and is definitely loud enough to permanently damage your hearing. The 140 dB threshold that the industry claims is "hearing safe" is based on a distortion of OSHA rules; an audiologist will tell you that habitual exposure to noises as low as 85 dB can cause permanent hearing loss.

That said, the SDN-6 holds its own sound-wise with the best of the other cans of the type.

I shoot 110 grain Blacktips thru mine as a HD load. Ive shot it without ear pro with that ammo. Its still loud...but not nearly as bad as without the can. I would be ok shooting it indoors in a HD situation.

My origional intent was to run subs thru it for HD. The lack of any really good performing sub ammo made me go back to supers.

Now there are a cpl makers of subs that do perform very well. Lehigh comes to mind.

That SDN-6 with a lehigh sub might be a pretty sweet combo

To better address your question, I'll say that many people find shooting the SDN-6 with 300 Blackout supersonics outdoors without hearing protection still comfortable on the ears, but it's just on the threshold of being uncomfortable. And with 5.56 it will be a little bit louder than that.

The SDN-6 is slightly louder with 5.56 than an equivalent 5.56 silencer, but not by much. Even if you hear it side-by-side with a 5.56 silencer the difference is still barely noticable.

But keep in mind that all of that shooting will permanent damage your hearing over time; doing it a few times without hearing protection is probably fine, but don't make a habit of it.

I use hearing protection for all of my suppressed shooting except when I'm shooting a suppressed .22 outdoors. Technically I'm still damaging my hearing even then, but it's so minor I'm not worried about it.

Back