Aaah, that was so good

cornered rat

Spent the evening with the man who taught me to shoot back in '91. He's teaching Criminal Law now. Seems that he lives much closer than I thought, so I might join him when he goes bow-hunting next time (or go for quail). His last exploit was getting a bull elk with a bow at 3000ft in Colorado. Hope he liked the results of his early efforts.
I do know he liked my P32 Kel-tec enough to investigate getting one.

Interestingly, when my mother brought up school shootings (and threats from students at her work), he suggested concealed carry as a part-solution. Was nice to hear it from somebody other than me.

The elk wasn't flying over him at 3000ft. Nor was the range ascertained with a rangefiinder to be that far. I meant that he was 3000ft up in the mountains...cold, windy and generally hostile place.

Um, I live at 6000 ASL. 3000 is damn near sea level to me :).

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

Sorry, CR. I forgot your geography. I thought either 3000 ft up a mountain or maybe you meant 300 feet. I forgot what 3000 ft can be like up north. (sigh.)

I don't think Colorado has any place that is at 3000ft. The foothills are at about 6000ft. And elk usually hang out at least at 9000 ft.

------------------
RKBA!

Legend has it that Denver is called the "Mile High City" because one of the steps to the entrance of the State Capitol Building (gold leaf-domed by the way) is exactly 5280 ft. above sea level.

Anything east of that step - approximately half the state - is lowland prairie until you get to the Missouri and Missippi Rivers and the Ozark Mountains. Eastern Colorado is breadbasket land, like Kansas.

Geography is a helpful thing. Don't sign up for any elk hunts in Limon, Colorado, folks.

CR, sounds like a good time.

Nebob, I thought that was attitude, not altitude.

Shortcut, that is high plains, not lowland prairie, prairie starts about the middle of NE eastward. By the way, there are a couple of places in NE over a mile high, and if you've ever seen the Wildcat Hills, the Pine Ridge, or any of the area around Ft. Robinson where the Sioux holed up, you definitely wouldn't think flatlands. But then most people will only see NE from I-80, stuck down in the bottom of the Platte valley where everything does look flat as a pancake ( I once knew a man whose dog ran away, he watched it go for 3 days ;) . They do have an elk season in NE, and have even started to hunt the reintroduced bighorns around Ft. Rob.
Bergie

Back