A2520 powder

hammered54

ran across some of this powder the other day and was wondering if anybody's used it in 308 or 223 ?
there is load data for it for both of those but was wondering what thoughts were on it.
looks like it would meter well.

thanks Matt.

I used it in matches for one season back in the early '90s. At the time, Accurate was calling it "Camp Perry Powder". This was in 308. One odd result was that deburring flash holes improved its accuracy for me. Initially, it had been less accurate than the usual stick powders, but deburring flash holes brought it in. I was using standard primers back then, though, and today I would try a magnum primer like the CCI#34 to see if that didn't get the same result.

I've read 2520 is a popular powder in the 223 with the heavier weight bullets but no experience. It's on my "to do" list but 60g is about as heavy as I'm going to go, 70 max. I have tried 2520 in a 22/250 in a ladder test, and got good/promising results on a couple charge weights with 55g bullets. I found 8#'s at a fair price a couple weeks ago, and got it as I read good comments in most of the calibers I have, but no 308 for me.

2230 is where it's at for 5.56. I tried some 2520 and it's not optimum for 62 grain loads.

well...I've tried 2230 in the past...can't get anywhere now.
loaded 10 rounds of 62 grain @ 3k fps loading data and Im pleased with the results.
#8 jug was was worth it !

Matt.

Back