A. Uberti .45LC or .357M

Vinagre

Good evening,

I am considering one of the two following, both A. Uberti replicas:

A. 1872 Open Top Revolver (Taylors # 0916) in .45LC. Is this replica limited to cowboy loads or can it take a hotter .45LC load?

or

b. 1873 SAA (Taylors # 4505) in .357 Mag

Basically, which one packs more punch? Any advice, experience, feedback will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.....

No, the opentop should not be used with heavy 45 loads. I have one in 45 S&W and feel its too powerfull for the design. The frames the size of a 51 navy and the big holes in the little cylinder make it too light. I'd go with the 357 if your looking for power or better yet a blackhawk. Although it sounds like you want a cowboy gun so if you want the opentop I'd sugest getting it in 44 and maybe the 1873 in 45. Either of which you'll be well protected when afeild.

I know it is not one of your choices but for all out strenth get the ruger New Vaqureo (smoother out of the box) same outline as the colt 1873. or go with the colt clone but the topstap on the reciever is key to strengh

If you want strength, the new Vaquero is good, the old Vaquero is probably the Gold Standard on strenth and single action design, along w/ the original Blackhawk.

Hank

The "open top" in .45 Colt IS NOT a gun that can handle hot loads, as well as the "SAA .357".

Only "cowboy loads" would be recommended for both these guns. Although "cowboy loads" are fun to shoot, they would not be recommended to hunt big game.

I do agree the new Vaquero is an excellent choice, if you are looking for more than a plinker. Personally I have one in .45 Colt....I love it!

I've got a Uberti 1860 Richards Mason conversion in .45 Schofield and I agree with the others in this thread that cowboy loads only in these guns. It really jumps shooting the SW cartridge at 700 FPS.

Back