A tricky FFL question.

zanemoseley

Buying a used Savage rifle from an individual in another state. I wanted the rifle accurize by a smith specializing in Savage actions so I asked him to ship to one of the smiths in route to me.

I spoke to the smiths and both said it was fine. The first one asked for a bill of sale showing that the transfer of ownership, the second said they just needed his contact info and copy of his DL.

The guy I'm buying from asked some local FFL and they said he couldn't do it. I would think 2 long term smiths would know better than some random FFL.

I thought the guys asking price was fair enough so just paid him asking price and now I'm going to be stuck shipping again. Guess that shows me I should always haggle.

So what is your interpretation of the firearm laws.

Seems to me that a gunsmith holding a gunsmith FFL can legally take the rifle in. That gunsmith may not be able to ship to you but should certainly be able to ship to your FFL to receive. I don't see the big issue.

I would think the seller should be able to take it to an FFL with a bill of sale to the buyer, and ship it to the gunsmith of the buyer's choice, whom the buyer has already conversed with regarding the plan. The sellers FFL shouldn't have an issue shipping to another FFL, which would have to happen at any rate in order to complete the cross state sale. Once the seller's FFL logs the firearm as disposed to the gunsmith [FFL holder] the seller's FFL is out of the loop and so is the seller. It is then the responsibility of the buyer to have it shipped from the gunsmith to an FFL of their chosing.

Thats the way I understand the transaction process. I think the Seller's FFL just doesn't want to deal with the issue.

Simple; Ship from an FFL, to an FFL

Whether I buy or sell, the item in question will be shipped from an FFL, to a receiving FFL. None of my local FFL's will accept shipment from a non-FFL. So yes, you are hit on both ends unless it was included in the price and receiving FFL's are put on the spot as they have to follow the law. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

The guy I'm buying from asked some local FFL and they said he couldn't do it. I would think 2 long term smiths would know better than some random FFL.
Lots of FFLs don't know the law or make up their own rules just to be difficult. I can't understand why the first FFL has a problem shipping it to another FFL. After that, none of his concern. Ask the seller to use a different FFL.

Back