A Thunder Ranch Working "Vacation"

Oscar

I've read a lot of interesting information about this Texas training facility. Have any of you taken part in any of their classes, and if so, would you describe them as a worthwhile way to spend 3 to 5 days of intense "vacation"? How difficult is it to get into one of their classes? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Take this with a grain of salt as it is not exactly what you asked.

Several years ago I took a working vacation (from New England) and drove to Columbia Mo and attended the Chapman Academy, pistol and advanced pistol.

It was well worth it. I am not trying to take away from Thunder Ranch as they were not in business at the time. I can share some ways to save $$$ if you want. But as for info on Thunder Ranch itself I too sit here and drool hoping aI can get another block of time off to go to T.R.

After looking at their website I got the distinct impression that they would really like their students to show up with a 1911 .45. Was this just my take on the site, or do others get that impression also? Not that I'm knocking the 1911--I've never even fired one.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

DAL, I've never been there but I read an article by Clint Smith where he said bring anything that worked. Key point being that it had to work. He also said the most common guns brought by students where 1911's and Glocks. With the glock being more reliable on average.

Well, yes. I have been to TR, 6 times I think. The instruction is first rate, the techniques are all "tried and true".

Up until the last year with the increase of well funded schools in other places (the Black Water? SEAL place back east?) I would have said it's facilities were the best available. Now I say one of the best in terms of facilities.

TR gives the best education I have seen. I recommend it highly.

Other places have some slightly different dogma, and provide other methods to do the same things, however for anything except military raiding I would give TR the nod.

Noel

In northern West Virginia, near the Pennsylvania and Maryland borders is a facility called "Storm Mountain" which apparently had Gunny Hathcock in residence for sniper schooling prior to his death. I have no direct knowledge of their courses but would be glad to hear from anybody who's been there.
http://www.stormmountain.com/

I took a 3day handgun course at Thunder Ranch
this past summer. The facility and the instructors are first class. The information taught by Clint and his instructors make this an informative and fun class. My 2000 vacation is already
planned around a rifle course at this fine
facility.

I've made 3 trips to Thunder Ranch. It has been well worth the time and financial investment to me.

------------------
Maintain eternal vigilance. It is the people who are prisoners of their own ignorance about firearms that pose the greatest threat to our 2nd Amendment Rights.

Never been to Thunder Ranch but I attended Blackwater's 3 day school and can't say enough good things about it. Facilities were top notch, instructors superb and I can't wait to go again. Friends who have gone to Thunder Ranch say the same things so make the time and have some fun.

Back