A terrible idea I had...

So, I was thinking about my 357 max and what I need to zero it at and etc. etc.

I got to thinking, since I am going to need to hand load it, why don't I just keep a load for every 25 yards or so that will hit the same POA. Vary charge and bullet weight in order to adjust the rise.

Has anyone tried this? Read about anyone trying it?

Sounds like a waste of effort to me.
How many people reload 9mm to save a few pennies a round?
Most of this sport is a waste of time.
Hunting with a front stuffer is a waste of effort when one can use a modern cartridge firearm. People still do it.

The thread title clearly admits this isn't a good idea, but I would be surprised if no one had tried it.

When I first got into silhouette competition many years ago I used a 14" Contender in .357 Maximum. I tried having a couple of different loads for the different distances. You guys are correct .. it was a complete waste of time and reloading components. One of the old timers advised me to make life easier by having one load for all of the four distances. It worked like a charm. Just had to adjust the rear sight up a few clicks for the longer distances.

A terrible idea I had...

Sounds like a waste of money, reloading components and time. Adjusting the aiming point (or sight picture), or the sights (or scope) is so easy and so much faster. Developing loads for 25 yard increments is likely (IMHO) to introduce even more variability than aiming point or sight/scope adjustments. Aiming point adjustments are obviously a matter of skill. Sight/scope adjustments are single, precise, one time changes. Cartridge variables obviously include the case, bullet, powder charge, primer, and the reloading process for individual cartridges.

Doing all of this for the fun of it . . . well, that is obviously a personal choice -- have fun! ;)

(I'm headed for Alaska tomorrow and don't know if I'll be able to access TFL for a couple of weeks.)

Last edited:
Better idea

Would be easier to sneak up to your target to the exact range you have your gun sighted in for!:D or learn about the ballistics of your load its bullet drop over distance.

How many people reload 9mm to save a few pennies a round?
Most of this sport is a waste of time.
Hunting with a front stuffer is a waste of effort when one can use a modern cartridge firearm. People still do it.

The thread title clearly admits this isn't a good idea, but I would be surprised if no one had tried it.
You aren't talking about reloading to save money.

You're talking about attempting to manipulate the loads to change the point of impact precisely.

That is what would be a waste of effort.

Let's stick to the topic instead of changing it as we go. ;)

A terrible idea I had...

I have to agree with that. Wouldn't it be easier to just employ good shooting practice and habits? Little things like judge the range, know your rifle and hold high or hold low.

Ron

Hokey Smoke! The guy had an idea.

Come up to the firing line, check out the 25 yard targets-reach for the 25 yard cartridges. Move to the 50 yard targets-break out your box of 50 yard cartridges. Rinse, repeat for the 75 and 100 yarders.

I can see the appeal.

It does seem like a lot of work and I'm not going to try it but anybody got any suggestions like,
'use x powder for this range to this range and y powder for others'
or
'start out with x grains of powder then add/subtract for different distances'

I get a headache thinking about it but like somebody else said someone has probably tried it so any tips for the OP? (And yeah, 'don't bother' is a tip but at least put a smiley on the end of it.)

Good luck.

You aren't talking about reloading to save money.
If you are saving $.04 round on 9mm by reloading.
Reload 100 an hour.
That is $4.00 an hour. I have lots of work for anyone interested in working for $4 an hour.
If I wanted to save money I would just stop shooting at all.

To be clear, this is just an idea. I have lots of ideas. Most of them are discarded. I just suspect someone has put some time into this at some point in the past and wondered how well it worked. Whether horizontal shift between loads exceeded vertical correction, etc.

357 max seemed like an ideal cartridge as there is a huge range of bullet weight and velocity possible, but info on any cartridge would be interesting.

Wouldn't it be easier to just employ good shooting practice and habits? Little things like judge the range, know your rifle and hold high or hold low.
I think the point has been missed.

I know some of you have reloaded tens of thousands of rounds for various cartridges. If you didn't at least think of this idea at some point along the way...

I'm not sure what is wrong with reloading 9mm. There's more to it than saving money.

And I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Go ahead and do it if you want. You'd have to be one hell of a shot to see the difference I'd guess.

There is nothing wrong with having an active and creative mind.One that thinks outside the box.
That does not mean every innovative idea will pay off.
Seems like Edison said something about discovering 10,000 ways to make a light bulb that did not work.

IMO,if a person only has a 30-06 and a 12 ga,there might be good reason to find versatility by varying loads.
Myself,I have different firearms like different golf clubs.I try to develop the load that maximizes the efficiency of that particular firearm.I am mostly a one load per firearm guy.I learn that combination.( I have 3 different 30-06;s.Each gets a different load! Garand,a 1903A4gery,and a hunting rifle.)But its always the same load.
I use 1 load in my .257 AI,the 115 gr Ballistic Tip and H-4831 SC.

A .357 Max is fairly specialized.I could see having two or loads;A plinker and a 357 max load Maybe one for hunting,one for targets.. But,yes,I'd concentrate on a reliable,repeatable adjustable sight for your needs.Maybe learn that 50 yds is 7 clicks up from bottomed out? or 125 yds is 13 clicks? .Could work.

You might do some serious ballistic calculator work to see if your idea can even be accomplished.

With a handgun,some recoil occurs while the bullet is in the barrel.Fixed sight guns can be somewhat sighted by varying loads.I'm going to leave that variable out of my next comment.

Purely on the flight after the bullet leaves the muzzle,my guess is,there is little drop at 25 yds.Not a lot at 50 yds.Even with a 700 fps load.

I just do not think pouring the coal to the velocity....what? 1800,1900,maybe 2000 fps? will make the difference to put you on target at 200 yds.My guess is that you will still need elevation.

And,for myself,the complexity/logistics of carrying,multiple loads...keeping them organized,not running out of one load...A range card for my sights is simpler.

Then,in my loading room,I'd need more powders....

The K.I.S.S. principle has merit.

Last edited:
I think the point has been missed.

I know some of you have reloaded tens of thousands of rounds for various cartridges. If you didn't at least think of this idea at some point along the way...
I don't think anyone missed a point.

It's just not an idea worth the effort for the vast majority.

It has nothing to do with reloading other cartridges for any other purposes, so I'm not sure why that keeps coming up

The only ones that do what you suggest (vary loads to determine distance) are firing artillery weapons, not small arms.

Back