A suggestion thread, opinions wanted.

uncle poop

Inactive
So being new to this hobby I have a lot to learn. I have gotten some great help in the general info section mostly about gun safety and laws in my state (NJ). I have also taken to learning about guns in general, designs, how they work and are built. I read a post on the site that really clarified a bit about finding the right weapon.

I know I will need to hold and fire several guns before I get a "feel" for what I will truly like. But I would like to find a starting point. I am more looking for something to bring to the range and shoot. Not really looking for the perfect home defense weapon. I want it to be fun and if possible cool to look at. I really like modern/ futuristic looking weapons (if that helps). I also have a really tight budget so something on the cheaper side (under $400 I guess is cheap?) maybe even something I can upgrade in the future. So what manufacturers or models should I look for? What caliber do you recommend for a beginner to start with?

I want to, after getting my basic handgun training done, go to a range to rent weapons and have a bit of knowledge on what I should look to rent. I will also ask the shop's employees as well but I believe in you can never have too much knowledge. I am also not opposed to having pictures posted, nothing like a little gun fun to make the day go by at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything in .22LR is going to be cheapest to shoot, always assuming you can find the ammo.

9mm is usually considered the smallest 'serious' caliber, that is, one you'd want to use to protect your life. If you're just range shooting anything other than 22LR is just burning extra money in ammo costs, unless you;re goign to get into reloading.

I'd recommend a Ruger SR22 as a first semi-auto pistol. I think it looks really modern, and it has a lot of features that make it suitable for a beginner has a place in anyone's collection. Adjustable rear sight, hammer fired, thumb safety, ambidexterous controls, around $325 before state sales tax if you shop around.

If you prefer, a Ruger 22/45 does the same job with a longer barrel for target shooting, around $315.

If you want something in a slightly larger caliber then a Ruger SR9 might be the way to go, $420 at my LGS.

I’m not sure if you’re leaning toward semi-auto or revolvers, but .22 caliber semi-autos like the Ruger Mark II or III and the Browning Buckmark are great guns. The ammo is cheap, but sometimes can be a challenge to find since almost everyone has a gun or two in that caliber.

If you want to start with something a little more powerful 9mm is probably the way to go. Ammo is the least expensive of the main calibers and generally available.

You might consider used guns and especially law enforcement trade-ins. The LEO guns usually have a lot of cosmetic wear, but have generally been well maintained and usually make nice guns.

GLOCKs can generally be found used and new for a decent price. Most folks seem to either hate them or love them, but the quality is good and there are plenty of parts/accessories.

The truth of the matter most of the major brands make decent guns, so it really will depend on what you like. Visit a gun shop and try a few models then post questions about the specific brand/model.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. Looked up that Ruger SR22, a sexy looking firearm for sure. I actually did not think about ammo costs so much in my budget. I would like something that is more common and cheaper, so maybe 9mm is the way to go. I read a few posts on here talking about .22's and the scarcity, so to speak on finding ammo.

The Mark 2 and I forget which that yous posted remind me of the German Luger? if I am not mistaken, a similar looking body design at least.

Ammo costs are definitely something that you should consider. Around here, 9mm is more common (right now) than .22LR, but it's also considerably more expensive. As an example, when I can find .22LR, I'm usually paying around 4-5 cents per round for cheap bulk ammo at Wal-Mart. For 9mm, I've been paying something like 26 cents per round, also for cheap plinking ammo.

The one that reminds you of the Luger is probably a Ruger in the Mark series.

As Spats says, it's currently easier to find 9mm, and prices seem to be dropping a little - I used to think $15/50 was good, but I can now get $13/50 at several outlets, so 26c a round same as Spats.

22Lr can be had for 4-5c a round when you can get a bulk 500 pack. The trick is being in the right place at the right time, or scouting online for deals.

A good local gun shop will also hold back some bulk 22LR for new gun purchasers. I got a bucket of 1600 Remington Golden Bullets when I purchased my SR22, and a 500 pack recently when I bought Heritage Rough Rider.

Everyone knows 22LR is still hard to find, but if you ask a round your local outlets they should be able to help you, at least by indicating when to go in looking for it.

Be sure to pick up some cleaning supplies for your new gun too, and have some way to secure it safely. Rugers (and I think most new handguns) come with a padlock you can put through the action to render it inoperable, but you might want a small safe to lock it securely out of sight.

Stay with a 9mm....in my area its about $ 14 - $ 18 for a box of 50 rds ...making it by far, the least expensive of the center fire calibers in semi-autos.

" Fun - and Cool to Look At"....and "under $400"....is the challenge....

Most everything made with polymer frames..is black, blocky - and ugly...in my view....but that's where you will find the best value....
---------
.38 spl is about $25 for a box of 50 rounds.....but a good used revolver in .38 spl or .357 Mag ...might fit your budget better..and give you a lot more guns to choose from. ( a .357 Mag revolver can shoot .38 spl as well ). Look at the used cases for a variety of revolvers....from S&W or Ruger ..for value. Rugers will be less espensive...

Ok I am going to check out 9mm's at the range when I go and .22 at the minimum. They sound like I will get what I am looking for and a bit of power as well. CWKahrFan: The guns shown in the links are pretty nice looking especially the Cannik with desert paint. I am going to seriously do more research on it I think it will fit the bill.

I really like modern/ futuristic looking weapons (if that helps). I also have a really tight budget so something on the cheaper side (under $400 I guess is cheap?)

That sounds like a description of a Beretta Neos. It is a very reliable and accurate .22LR pistol that can run as low as $250 when you find a good deal. All the mentioned caveats about ammo availability and the limits of .22LR for self defense still apply, but for a plinker it is lots of fun.

Because a first pistol is for a time an only pistol and most folks are interested in self defense, I usually recommend a decent 9 mm for a first pistol, though.

My advice, go directly to a 9mm.

I started with a Ruger 22 as my first handgun. It was fine and all, but a couple months later I realized a centerfire would have a broader range of uses. After forking over $250 for the .22 I found it necessary to spend another $450 for a decent 9mm.

Save up another $50 and get a 9. You can always get a 22 'toy' later.

Oh and skip the Turkish guns, ie Canik etc. While initially they seem like good deals, when its time to sell or get magazines you'll be kicking yourself. Go with a major manufacturer.

My friend bought a 45 Zigana last year. The feed ramp doesn't line up with the chamber (won't feed hollow points) and you can't get extra mags. It's pretty much a paperweight at this point. I also had a look at some Turkish CZ clones the salesman was pushing and was shocked how crude they were compared to my real CZ.

Last edited:
22lr is always a good way to start... But ammo is hard to find right now.

9mm is plentiful enough and the cheapest centerfire... So if we start there...

Under $400

The S&W SD9VE is by all accounts a well made and dependable pistol for around $300.

Canik from Turkey is said to make a nice pistol, for a little over $300.

Used Glocks and other fine pistols can be had for around $400... $500 can get you a CZ 75 if you look hard enough and get a little lucky. They make CZ clones that can be had for $300 or so that are said to be pretty nice.

Based on what I've seen, I'd stay away from the Turkish made guns too...

( its not the appearance....its the internals...quality of the steel, etc...that you can't see )....

I haven't seen many... But the shotguns I have seen seem to hold up well.

FN sources their P12 parts from there.

It may be different manufactures and some have problems.

The parent company for Canik is a defense supplier making parts for aircraft and other things as well. They also have ISO certifications... While that doesn't say everything, it does show that they are willing to allow outside inspectors verify their methods.

Any place can make a good product if they source good materials and have good QC standards with a solid design. Cheap does not always equate to inferior...

I don't know if the S&W is made in the USA or not...

CZ is not made in USA, but are very good pistols. The machining in non critical areas can show tooling marks, but the pistols are well done and proven.

Uncle-I think you're spinning your wheels right now and I'm afraid you might get frustrated with all our 'advice' - mine included.

You are already going to go to a range and shoot some of their guns and I think you mentioned taking a class in another thread.

That said, go do that and I almost guarantee you the experience will answer a ton of your questions. Just like a picture is worth a thousand words, the class and range experience will be worth a LOT more.

After that, you'll have a better idea of what you want and better reasons WHY you want what you want.

You'll still have a ton of questions but you'll be more focused.

DaleA Uncle-I think you're spinning your wheels right now and I'm afraid you might get frustrated with all our 'advice' - mine included.

You are already going to go to a range and shoot some of their guns and I think you mentioned taking a class in another thread.

That said, go do that and I almost guarantee you the experience will answer a ton of your questions. Just like a picture is worth a thousand words, the class and range experience will be worth a LOT more.

After that, you'll have a better idea of what you want and better reasons WHY you want what you want.

You'll still have a ton of questions but you'll be more focused.

I really just wanted to see where to begin. Being new to all this I had no clue of the variety of weapons that are available, nor the price ranges. I know I limit myself with my budget but it is what it is. So having a good starting point I thought would be best for me. I know my tastes tend to lean toward expensive things had to have a champagne breakfast when all I can afford is pop tarts. Hence this post.

I was actually checking out different retailers online before coming here. On one site I saw this really cool .22 zip type gun. Had the look that I like and an under $200 price tag. So I researched the gun more and found out it likes to jam (I guess this is a problem with zip type guns?). Probably not the best gun for a beginner like me, regardless how cool it looks. This got me to thinking that it might be best to have an idea what to look for and how to look for it. So I found this site and I am doing all the research I can to be as informed as possible.

I also do not want to go rent a gun from a range that will be too far out of my price range. I know I will like them and never be able to afford them. No sense in teasing myself if I can help it.

"Based on what I've seen, I'd stay away from the Turkish made guns too...

( its not the appearance....its the internals...quality of the steel, etc...that you can't see ).... "

The Turkish guns are of excellent quality. They are made, for the most part, in NATO approved factories to high standards. Metals and polymers used are top notch. I would go for the TP9 by Canik given the OP's requirements. 22's are fun for target and plinking but they don't give you any recoil experience.

I know that talking about handloading is getting way ahead of the game, but if you do decide to start with a centerfire pistol, save your brass!
Ammo supplies may be increasing, and prices may be going down, but I can handload 9mm less expensively than I can buy .22 rimfire (locally).

Back