A successful Day in the Delta swampland

5RWill

My friend and I are pretty big into duck hunting. And usually it's nothing but tons of work for just a couple of ducks. Thing is we have tons. Around the small town i live in Northern MS, i'd be hard pressed to find better duck hunting than my families land. It's alot of Bayous and swampy areas though so there is so much water that if your not in the place where the ducks just want to go, well it gets difficult. To shoot at a couple then they just get up go one 100yds and set down behind some brush. So usually it's just a huge viewing of lots of birds in the sky with little to come in but they'll come around us. Well today everything went right other than my shooting ability :o it happens though.

10mlu3c.jpg

Ducks a beautiful......and in looking at these I am reminded how beautiful they look once the breasts are have been rolled in seasoned salt and then tossed about in a iron skillet with melted butter.

Add some horseraddish sause and it's better than any beef fillet that ever was!!

I can almost smell it now!!!!!

Those are some good looking ducks, how do you cook them after you shoot them. I have a buddy that will only make jerky out of it.

My buddy wraps them in bacon with his own marinade and it's wonderful. Although he tells me he has found a new way to cook them this year that is out of this world. I'll be sure and ask.

Proud of my boy Reb got every duck today, dropped them all at my feet, never bit or even tried to eat one. He was a bit cold though, it being 25F and all. Gotta get him a neoprene vest. Amazing the quality of camera's put in phones now a days.

281v6tg.jpg

Clean the ducks thoroughly. Get a large bowl, use bread crumbs or stuffing mix without seasoning, add small amount of salt, pepper, and some tyme and sage. Boil WILD rice till half done and add to stuffing. Mix in a little bit of manderine orange (or tangerine will do). Now, butter the inside of the birds and stuff as you would a turkey. Cook just as you would a turkey being sure to baste frequently. Serve with veggies of your choice. Gravy can be made from the drippings in the pan. BTW, this also works well with pheasant!

Duck hunting in Wisconsin is okay but I don't think we have the limits you guys down south do. It hardly pays to even go here..

Same with geese.

Back