A "smoke pole" is . . .

Prof Young

So I always thought the phrase "smoke pole" was a reference to muzzle loaders. However; was reading gun article the other day, (should have kept track of it) and the writer used the term in a way that it could mean any fire arm.

What does "smoke pole" mean to you?

Life is good.
Prof Young

Smoke pole to me = some idiot gun writer's way of trying to be cute.
I really don't miss a lot of that trash.
Smoke pole, bang stick, stick that thunders,,,,,,

Oh well just call me old and crabby..

Smoke pole:

smoking-chimney-axkxwy.jpg

Firearm:

iu

Muzzleloader.

...Though I don't cringe or find fault when the term is used for cartridge rifles or shotguns firing black powder loads.

the term " bang stick" is a scuba divers tool when diving in shark waters. I has a 12 ga cartridge and pushing it against a shark will fire the cartridge

Some bang sticks are 12 ga. Most are not.

In the modern world, they seem to be used offensively against gators more than defensively against sharks.

the term " bang stick" is a scuba divers tool when diving in shark waters.
True enough --but--I still abhor the term when some gun hack uses it to be "cute".

Last edited:
I'll agree with HAL, usually someone trying to sound "experienced". Right along with the old term of "Mouser" rifle when talking about the Mauser.

Smokepole is another term I never use, even though I own more than my fair share of muzzleloading rifles and shotguns. Nor will I ever call my shotguns "shotties".

Black Powder long arms. Pole because its a long arm and Smoke, because it does.

(especially when compared to "smokeless" ammo).

To me, "bang-stick" has a specific meaning, the scuba diver's tool.

"BOOMSTICK", on the other hand is generic, (a shotgun, usually) if you're Ash, fighting the Evil Dead...:rolleyes::D

Back