A simple flash hole deburring tool that does not chamfer the hole?

paxamericana

I am looking for a very simple type of flash hole deburring tool that can be lightly used just to knock the burr off of the flash holes inside the cases; but most of the cutting bits of the available flash hole deburring tools seem to be specially designed to cut into the inside of the flash hole and chamfer it. This function is built into the shape of the bit, on many flash hole tools. (That seems to be why these manufacturers make tools that index on the head or some other part of the brass -- because otherwise you might cut too deeply into the case head . ) I don't want to enlarge, or chamfer, or cut into, or
remanufacture the flash hole. I think it is unnecessary. All I need is something very simple that will knock the burr off with a couple of twists without cutting away the inside of the flash hole the way most of the available tools are obviously designed to do. The one exception I have found is the 21st Century flash hole deburring tool, which I can see is deliberately designed to cut off the burr without chamfering the flash hole -- but it would be absurd to pay $100 for a simple tool that does such a simple thing. Does anyone know of a tool that will do this and does not cost $100?

You have two choices if you are going to get rid of burrs like that.

You can have a flat cutter, but it has to angle such that it bites into the burr which also means you will cut the case some as well.

A chamfer is a simple cutter that does the job, not sure what the issue is. If you want the burr gone there is a cost. Chamfer is simple and easy.

I guess you could find a flat blade screw driver that fits down the neck and scrape away.

my Sinclair

Bought mine from Sinclair, but cannot advise who made it. It does indeed chamfer, how so ever lightly. Indexes on the case mouth and the flash hole itself. Used it mostly when I was shooting a bit of Fclass -T/R on .308 cases.
In the end I bought a supply of Lapua brass and it was so perfect I did not feel the need to prep. I did not shoot F-T/R long enough to need another batch of Lapua brass. Good thing, the dang stuff was expensive, even then.

The experience did open my eyes to the imperfections in average cases. I use the tool a bit these days when trying to wring the last bit of accuracy out of a load. Honestly, in most of my sporters and hunting loads I cannot tell the difference.

Thanks, guys. Good suggestions. I think I might just try a simple, inexpensive 4/16" regular drill bit chucked into a pin vise as a handle for the thing. The drill bit has a slightly conical point, and should knock off the burrs, but it will be too big to protrude much into the 0.08" flash hole.

Thanks, guys. Good suggestions. I think I might just try a simple, inexpensive 4/16" regular drill bit chucked into a pin vise as a handle for the thing. The drill bit has a slightly conical point, and should knock off the burrs, but it will be too big to protrude much into the 0.08" flash hole.
Chuck the bit to a drill and stick a file to the pilot to "machine" it smaller.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The problem that i see is part of the burr chould be insude the flash hole. Personally i don't deburr flash holes anymore, but when i did i just set the tool to cut the burr out but not ready chamfered the hole. Just like deburring a case neck, no real way to do it square to the next. Just enough to cut the burr not enough to chamfer.

Back