• Stoeger 3000

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Browning Auto-5 Long Recoil

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gallade475

Inactive
So, i'm relatively new to shooting and want to have a shotgun of my own. I feel that I am capable of owning a firearm and dealing with all responsibilities that come with it, and it seems that the second amendment is not doing so well if recent legislature is anything to go by.

My budget is less than 550 dollars, most likely used, and it would be best to have interchangeable chokes, which has narrowed my search down to 4 main choices.

Remington 1100, Remington 11-87, Mossberg 930, and Stoeger 3000, and MAYBE an old browning A-5 if i'm lucky.

I would like to know the mechanical strengths and weaknesses of the guns, and reading manufacturer's sites and informative articles about their methods of operation can only provide so much. Thanks in advance.

Please elaborate on what your intended purpose is... that makes recommendations more tailored.

Home defense, hunting, skeet/trap, aesthetics, etc.? These aren't really interchangeable. Some are more suited for one vs. the other.

Personally, I like the 1100 with an extended tube mag for home defense. But the A5 is much better looking...

The Remington 1100/11-87s are practically the same gun; the 11-87 just adds 3" capability. You really need to handle and preferably shoot them before plunking down your money, because they will all work, but they all feel quite different in the hand.
The Browning is ugly as a rotted fence post to me - so that tells you where opinions are going to get you. And yes I did own one and have shot many, and I don't like the way they feel or shoot, either. The 1100 did not run it out of the marketplace for nothing.
Depending on what you want to do with the gun, you might want to add the Franchi Affinity and the Beretta Outlander to your list.

I didn't vote because I don't have recent experience with many of your selections. I do have an old 11-87 Premier that has been good enough that I don't expect to need another auto.

Mine runs well with field or heavy loads, with the factory 28" tube or a second that I shortened to 21". I have around 400 trouble-free rounds through it and I am inclined to believe its self-adjusting gas system works as advertised.

Mossberg makes a pump combo model that comes with reg wood butt stock, pistol grip, a 18" barrel, a 28" barrel and three chokes. That seems like a good "everything" shotgun and is around $350-400

I voted the 1100 cause...well...it's what I've mainly used for most everything the last thirty+ yrs. Although I currently own three A-5's and different pumps, I've always seemed to go back to the 1100 as my main shotgun .
And, have just never found anything that can be done with the 3" shell that couldn't be done with 2 3/4".

Although something like goose hunting may require more but I've never hunted geese.

Last edited:
You don't have my choice on there: the Beretta AL391. The most versatile shotgun made. It's also the only one with the ability to adjust the cast and comb, it shoots 3" shells, clears easier than the other guns, is softer shooting etc.

I picked the 1100 only cause I can't vote twice. The other would be Belguim Browning A5. Both are excellent shotguns but my std weight A5 has issues with birdshot from time to time. My 1100 on the other hand shoots everything fine.

You don't have my choice on there: the Beretta AL391. The most versatile shotgun made. It's also the only one with the ability to adjust the cast and comb, it shoots 3" shells, clears easier than the other guns, is softer shooting etc.

Great gun, but I haven't seen any within the OP's budget, otherwise add the A400 to the list as well

Of the choices you gave us .....I'd pick the Rem 1100 or the 11-87...both are good reliable gas guns ...if you take care of them and maintain them properly by keeping them clean.

With a $550 budget you are probably better off buying an 870 or other reliable pump. If you can find a used 1100 or 11-87 at that price they would be an option.

A "do everything" auto for less than $550 is a hard row to hoe (get a pump gun or start a savings account). Anyone ever heard of any "Black Friday" gun deals?

I have an 1100, it is a great gun, but it is also a freaking tank. It sees mainly range duty now, not 10 mile bird hunts. My 391 on the other hand.........:D

I got a brand new Remington 1100 Classic Trap back I feb and man she functions JUST as good as she looks! Love it. It's my go to shotgun honestly. I threw a synthetic stock and forearm on her and a different barrel for hunting. And when it's time for clays in the spring I will put the pretty wood furniture back on. I highly recommend:D

I picked up a semi auto mossberg 5500 MKll for $250. Vented barrel, parkinized Camo. Got a good deal, but I'm sure they can be found in the $350 range.
qyrezyme.jpg

Last edited:
My dad and I went to a estate auction and had several shotguns came up. One was the Mossberg MKII 5500 another was a Browning BPS. That Mossberg went for just over 500 bucks!!! The Browning went for 250......my dads bid lol. I asked why? lol. His only answer, never owned one lol. Sometimes you can get lucky.

Back