a scope for the 700PSS

Dikyllis

I'm considering a variable power, something in the the neighborhood of 6x to 24x and I don't want to go any bigger than 40mm. The gun is strictly for target shooting with the goal of maintaining the tightest group I can muster with factory ammo. My local range only reaches out to 200 yds, so that will be the longest shot for the time being. Any suggestions would be appreciated!! What do you guys think of target knobs?? THANKS!

It probably isnt necessary to go to a 24X capable scope. A good Leupold Vari X that would go to 12X is plenty. It is worth it to spend the money on a good scope AND mount system, saves mucho aggro. Ive personally used a Leupold Vari X II 3x9 on a one piece Chandler mount = consistent sub minute.
Ah, almost forgot - Target knobs. Pros: almost required if you have wide variations in the distances at which you shoot - easy and quick to adjust. Cons: they stick out and are prone to catching on things.

[This message has been edited by Zensho (edited December 28, 1999).]

If you're looking to do real precision work, target knobs are a must, IMHO.I'd agree that a max 12-14 power is more than adequate and that Leupold probably has the best values in this area.

If you want to impress friends with wiz-bang stuff, take a look at Springfield Armory's 4-14x56. It's a much larger objective than you've spec'd but with the 30 mm tube it gathers light real well. Lot's goin' on in that 50mm space, though....inluding the optional proprietary ranging device or std mil-dot and a built in balance bubble.

Rich

I own a burris elctro-dot 6-24X(44mm) mounted on my model 70 heavy varmint(308). I didn't have it very long but it was highly recommended from my gun dealer. You have the option of using the standard reticle alone or with red dot in the middle of it with a turn of a knob. There is also light collecter that lets you change the amount of light coming in.

Mine has standard turrets but they also have target ones. If you do get standard ones and change your mind, they can fit it with target knobs for like $60 last time I heard.

The company is also very reliable after your purchase. If you ever lose your turret covers or the lens cover that come with the scope, they will replace them free of charge.

I know this has a bigger objective then you were looking for but it is a bright scope.

www.burrisoptics.com

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. At this point I am leaning very heavily toward a Leupold tactical model in 3-9x40, duplex, target knobs. As much as I like the idea of massive amounts of magnification, I'm begining to understand that I don't NEED 24x to shoot 200 yards accurately. I found the scope I speak of at riflescopes.com for $300.

Back