West Germany (HK93) caliber .223 to date 8,510
Beretta BM-59 caliber .308 to date 2,000
Switzerland SIG 510 and SIG 550 caliber .308 and .223 to date 1,000
Austria Steyr AUG caliber .223 to date 5,000
Korea K1 and K2 (similar to AR-15) caliber.223 to date 25,000
Miscellaneous to date 25,000

Don't tell the Gov.

------------------
"Are we at last brought to such an humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference between having our arms under our own possession and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
- Patrick Henry

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/Guns_and_Gunrights.html

ICQ no. 46780559

Oh, by the title of your post, A salted rifle, I thought is was something else.
I was ging to say down here in the Sonoran desert we usually cook 'em with some lime juice and chili powder. Got to bone 'em first or they're tough on the teeth. 8-)

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

Maybe it's just me but I think some of these numbers are a little low. Only 3000 Marlin Camp Carbines? More Galil's than Hungarian or Yugoslavian AK's? I've got nothing to back this up but I demand a recount.

Interesting, does anyone know where I can get one of those Ruger Mini-14's in calibre .30? I tried to force a .30 into mine, but it just won't go, it only takes those dinky rounds. ;)

Mal H.,

The figures probably came from BATF. You don't expect them to know anything about guns, do you?

Jim

from the same site:
http://www.shadeslanding.com:80/firearms/kopel.ak47.html

In the months after Pearl Harbor, Japan seized several Alaskan islands, and military strategists feared more Axis landings. But the regular army and the
National Guard had been sent overseas into combat. So the Governors of Hawaii, Virginia, and Maryland called the militia to duty. Maryland Governor
O'Conor summoned "members of Rod and Gun Clubs, of Trap Shooting and similar organizations," to "furnish their own weapons" for the purpose of
"repelling invasion forays, parachute raids, and sabotage uprisings," as well as patrolling railroads and beaches.

It has been more than 40 years since the last invading troops left American soil. No invasion is plausible in the foreseeable future. But Constitutional
rights are for all time. Only the most naive believer in American omnipotence or the nuclear umbrella can feel certain that America will never again need the
militia.

Even if an act of God forever shielded America from foreign invasion or domestic tyranny, there is still the risk that America may again find itself in an
overseas war. Basic training is hardly enough time to master an assault rifle. A study by the Arthur D. Little research firm concluded that shooting
experience with "military type small arms prior to entry into military service contributes significantly to the training of the individual soldier." In the next
war, American soldiers who have learned about military rifles as a civilian hobby will likely save the lives of their fellow soldiers whose only experience
with firearms is a membership card in Handgun Control.

Back