a S&W Model 042?

ReserveCop

I recently saw a S&W Model 042 for sale. It appeared to be a hammerless J frame type handgun. It was blued and lightweight.

Can anyone please give me feedback on this specific handgun...pro and con, as well as the approx. price in 90% condition? Also, in what years did they make this gun? How does the Model 042 compare to current J frame models?

Thanks for your opinions.

[Edited by ReserveCop on 02-11-2001 at 08:17 PM]

Hello. I have one of these, too, and until recently it was my primary "carry" gun around the house. Some of the guys here with more historical knowledge than me will probably correct this, but I think I'm close to right!

For all intent and purposes the 042 is a 442. I don't think any of the 042 guns are rated for Plus P; mine's not.

I believe they were all made during the time frame that S&W came out with their airweight guns and began life as the light-colored frame for the stainless version of the gun, but the aluminum finish, or lack thereof, didn't match the stainless cylinder and bbl closely enough for S&W. An internal decision was made to remove the stainless parts, stamp a "0" over what had been a "6" (as in 642) and use the frames for the carbon steel guns, i.e.: the 442s. I think that about 4000 were made. I doubt that they have any particular collector's value, but could be wrong.

I'm not sure on the dates, but THINK it was during the early 1990's.

Mine shoots well and to point of aim with Federal 125 gr Nyclad standard velocity HPs.

Hope this is of use.

Best.

I just bought one a few months ago, and it has become one of my primary carry guns.

It's Centennial (hammerless) Airweight, but I think is the only one of the many Airweight guns that is not so marked.

This was an uncataloged run of guns from 1992, around the time that they reintroduced the Centennial guns.

What I've heard is that the original finish on the guns wasn't up to par, and they were taken back, stripped, and refinished, hence the O42.

If you pop the cylinder and look on the underside of the topstrap, you'll find that the serial number is laseretched there.

I paid a shade over $300 for mine.

please keep the feedback coming...

Thanks for your opinions.

Does anyone else own the Model 042?

Are you happy with it, or do you wish you got a different version of the J frame?

Thank you.

Hello. I'm quite happy with mine as is, even though not rated for use with Plus P ammo. I prefer the standard velocity Federal Nyclad 125 gr HP which gets an average velocity of 886 ft/sec from my gun. Recoil is considerably less than the Plus P 158 gr LSWCHPs that would be my choice in a steel J-frame. Best.

Back