A rather good article, and a poll

Garand Illusion

I thought this article was amazingly fair, and there is a poll to vote on:

Denver Post Story

Many who support stricter gun laws point to a higher risk of murder or suicide in homes with guns compared with the relatively rare instances in which guns repel a home invasion. Yet neutral researchers say that claim has long been flawed and that gun opponents ignore statistics of gun owners defending themselves up to 1 million times a year.

From the article:

"Yet national surveys consistently show 75 percent to 80 percent public support for much tougher gun laws, from registration and tracking of all guns to mandatory safety classes."

Has anyone here actually seen such a survey? I have not, and I seriously doubt the 75-80 percent figure. I suppose a survey commissioned or conducted by the Brady campaign would qualify as "national", with predictable results.

Tim

Recent high-profile shootings at a Colorado church and missionary center, Northern Illinois University and Virginia Tech have spurred only scattered action on behalf of gun control. But they've stirred gun-rights proponents to seek concealed-carry permits in record numbers statewide and across the nation

That's true. I've owned and shot guns for over 10 years. I finally got off my duff and got my permit after the VA tech shootings and then the Colorado shootings. I thought to myself... I'll be damn'd if I am going to wait around to be executed by some whack job on Prozac.

[/QUOTE]Has anyone here actually seen such a survey? I have not, and I seriously doubt the 75-80 percent figure. I suppose a survey commissioned or conducted by the Brady campaign would qualify as "national", with predictable results.[/QUOTE]

You can make a poll say anything you want to man. You could word a question in such a way to get an 80% support for hitler... its all in the wording and who is being asked.

Poll results are weird. I do believe that if you ask the question about gun control without countext and unbiased that a small majority of people will say they favor it. And this is what the anti-gunners focus on, asking their question to expand those results as much as possible by putting it in the context of of "laws to keep hands out of criminals hands." (though they would like to make every gun owner a criminal, of course).

The NRA focuses on the polls that show that a rather large percentage of people are against gun bans and believe in the 2nd amendment right of gun ownership.

So given that I believe those two facts are true, then the public is insisting on staying on a slippery slope. I'm guessing that most of these are people who believe in gun ownership, but have been persuaded that nobody "needs" a "more lethal, high capacity, rapid fire" military style weapon that is "not suited for hunting" (of course we know the latter to be a mistruth, but I hear that all the time -- even Jim Zumbo got caught in that trap).

I've read a number of interesting things about gun polls, though. Like if you do a poll on gun ownership and do it during the day, you'll get a smaller number than if you call the same numbers at night. This is due to getting more women at home during the day, a surprising number of which have put out of their minds the 12 ga their husband has kept at the back of their closet for the last 10 years.

The only thing I disagree on is that the anti-gun groups aren't well funded. Sure, member driven groups like the MMM aren't well funded, because there's not members who are willing to pay. But groups funded by rich guys or rich organizations, like the Joyce Foundation or any of Soros' groups, have more money than the NRA. They just have no members.

Back