A question to Baer and 10mm owners?

Peter M. Eick

I have pretty well settled on ordering a custom Baer 10mm Heavyweight Monolith pistol. I am down to a few minor questions that you may be able to help with. As fellow Baer/10mm owner, please sound in and help me do this deal.

1)Should I get a 40$&$ barrel fitted while I am at it? It would be an extra $300 for the barrel and the fitting? Also I will need to get $175 worth of magazines (7 of them) in 40$&$ so this is nearly the cost of a glock 40. I already have 2 40's, but I cannot really see this one? Thoughts?

2) Should I go for the 1.5" at 50 yards guarantee over the standard 3" at 50 yards? This is a $295 option and I am leaning toward it.

As I understand it, they basically tighten the gun way up so that there is absolutely no play and carefully adjust how the barrel locks up to avoid any variation. I hate guns that shoot the first round different then the rest of the mag, so I think this will solve that problem.

3) I was going to get 7 8rnd magazines so I can load a complete box full of ammo (50 rnds) during the target changing periods? Should I get more then 7 mags? Each mag is $25 and made of stainless steel with a bumper.

Anyone think of a good reason I should not do this? It will cost about $2550 for just the 10mm option and it will probably be a one of a kind pistol.

Since you can down-load the 10 to .40 power levels, why pay for the duplication? Extra barrel, extra mags, different brass, etc. for the less capable round? Nah. As for the accuracy guarantee; the gun will shoot that group one time, with their ammo, and them shooting it. That's my take. Two different brands of ammo will vary their group size by more than 1.5" when fired in the same gun. With careful load development, you can probably find a round that will group close to 2" in the standard Monolith.

As the owner of a Caspian .40 single stack going to 10mm, here's how I see it.

1a)$300 sounds high to me. As the gun can not be used in IDPA (long dust cover), I see no point in it. Reload your own and you can easily duplicate .40 performance in a 10mm case.

1b)You do not need to get .40 mags. Use the 10mm mags. I use Metalform 9rd 10mm mags and have no problems.

2)What RickB said. They may be able to do it with their ammo, in their controlled environment. That does not mean you will be able to. Besides if you are competing with it, it is more important to have rock solid reliability than extreme accuracy.

3)Get Metalforms, about $17 a piece if you get 7 or more from the factory.

Obviously you have the funds to do what ever you want. Make yourself happy with it.

BTW, I bought three Mec-Gar 10mm mags from CDNN Investments for $19.99 each, and they have all worked perfectly in my Delta. I have six 8-rounders for my gun, and that seems like plenty for competition.

I'd skip the 40S&W barrel and get the 1.5"@50 guarantee. Isn't the guarantee based on YOUR choice of ammo? You can always buy a barrel later, and 10mm ammo ain't that expensive for range use anyway (Georgia Arms has it for $8 a box of 50, or $150 for 1000).

[Edited by BB on 02-14-2001 at 02:19 PM]

Thanks for the comments. I did order it with the 1.5" guarantee and I skipped the 40 barrel. I do reload so whats the point.

John its not that I have more money to do with it, this is my yearly bonus, and I had a very good year so I am rewarding myself. Otherwise, why put in all those extra hours!

Now I must wait for my third Baer!!!!!

Back