A question of choke

Brutus

Through out 45 my years of bird hunting only two chokes have ever been used.
For Ducks and Geese I've always gone with a full in my 870 pump switching to modified or improved modified for trap and pheasant. When I bought my first O/U I set it up with a modified for the first shot and full for the second.
Same O/U setup has been used in 20ga. when Grouse hunting.
I don't think I have ever tried improved cylinder or cylinder, am I missing something? Always thought of cylinder as a choke for slugs. What are your choices for close in shots and when do you opt for a cylinder choke?

Speaking of Briley, my life improved considerably when I put some Briley thin-wall chokes in my Beretta. Was blowing up birds with improved modified/full in my OU

Now I shoot improved cylinder/modified and life is good.

Yes....you could be...quite literally....missing something.

I will second Briley's recommendations.../ I've shot quite a bit of quail with a Skeet choke and sometimes an Imp Cyclinder....

Pick your choke - so you have a 30" pattern at the expected kill range ( so if I'm hunting over very good pointers and birds are holding ...you don't need much choke ).....if I'm hunting Pheasant and we're using flushing dogs and birds are running...maybe a Mod of Improved Mod because the range is typically further out for the kill. If I'm hunting Pheasant and they're holding with good pointing dogs ...then sometimes a Skeet or Imp Cylinder is enough choke there too.

Range of the kill - will also dictate the size of shot - in the shell - I will select for a good clean kill because bigger pellets hold their energy over longer ranges.

Sometimes for Quail - with an O/U which I would typically hunt with / I'd go Skeet and Skeet or maybe Skeet and Imp Cyc.../ and I'll carry chokes in my vest to change, if I wanted to.

If I'm in an area where I have to shoot Steel shot...then nothing tighter than a Modified. Shooting waterfowl with a Full ...can seriously damage your barrel when shooting steel because it doesn't compress as much as lead going thru the choke constriction and may bulge the barrels....

Last edited:
Improved

I used my first double last year on upland birds.. Set it up for Improved over Modified and was very satisfied with the results. I am an old guy and have used pumps all my life with Modified chock on upland game but I am leaving Friday for SD opening on Saturday and have this set up on the double but you can bet the old pump is going for the ride as well! Enjoy

Back