A question from the "silencer" sticky

gyvel

Unless things have changed WA state allows one to own a silencer, but you can't use it within the state. Gotta cross over to OR or ID to shoot your toy.

As the poster pointed out, you can legally own a silencer in Washington State, but you have to go to OR or ID to use it.

Now, my question is, do you have to fill out and send BATF that interstate transportation notice when you do that (I forget the number, and I had to do it for mine when I moved from FL to AZ:o), or is that form only necessary if you are changing state of residence?

from the instructions on the Form 5320.20

....A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate
or in foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-
barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun
is required under the provisions
of Section 922 (a)(4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27,
CFR, a letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information...
Note that "silencer" and "AOW" are not mentioned......and the form is not required for them.

Gyvel, if you read a few posts further down in the silencer sticky, we discuss how that law changed: That law was reversed almost five years ago. Now we just follow federal law when it comes to silencers; any place you can shoot a firearm in WA state, you can shoot a silenced firearm. In fact, silencers aren't even considered to be firearms according to state law.

And like Tom pointed out, no form 5320.20 is required to transport silencers and AOWs across state lines.

Back