A question for you computer literates

John/az2

I leave my computer running most of the day. After I log off of the net and shut down my e-mail program, ICQ, and my browser, there's not anything running that I know of that would log me back onto the net. HOWEVER, many times when I return from work I find my computer logged on.

Hmmm...

Then I read an article about a program called DIRT.

http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtoday/article/0,1510,11614,00.html

Now, I am running Windows 98 as my OS. Is there something that I should know about this system? Or should I be concerned about this program?

------------------
John/az

"They come, they eat, they leave...
"They come, they eat, they leave...NOT!!

Bill Clinton (aka: Hopper) Al Gore (aka: Molt) Janet Reno (aka: Thumper)

Ants UNITE!

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited July 06, 1999).]

Through "My Computer" then "Control Panel" check everything concerning modem and dial up.....somewhere there is a setting dealing with auto-redial...uncheck it.

If all else fails you can always unplug the phone wire from the modem

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

I seriously doubt that you are being DIRTed. You probably have an application that wakes up on a timeout and connects. Are you sure your email appl is disabled, this is the usual culprit. If you want to be absolutely sure that no one is getting in while you're away, simply turn off your modem or remove the phone cord if the modem is internal (mine is on a switch). Even the most incidious of hackers can't get in your computer if you take that precaution. And this might give you a clue as to which appl is trying to dial out - it might give you an error message.

You can also check for any files that were written from the time you left until the time you returned using the file finder with the date/time option. Most legit appl's will add to a log or ini file when they connect.

how do you shut down ICQ? and is the netdect agent on?
for some reason, my ICQ likes to be connected to my isp, and will sometimes find its way back on to the net after I make my connection disappear.(personally, I think ICQ started going to hell when AOL acquired it from the isreali firm a year and a half ago)

this shouldn't be a problem if you close it by clicking the "x" box in the corner, or if you go to disconnect status, when you log off.

but check what DC said first

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

Back