A question for the boycotters out there.

A very good friend of mine who is possessed with the great and admirable virtue that he will, as we say here in N.D., work for cheap:D

Denny Reichard. He's worked on a few of mine.

When Denny is not busy bringing knowledge to skulls full of mush at LFI classes, he is out chasing bad guys and working on Smiths.

You can write him care of the Rochester (Indiana) Police Department. RPD, Rochester, Indiana 46975.

1. A local gunsmith
2. A gunsmith somewhere else in the country
3. Gee, maybe the people who either buy the rights to S&W guns, S&W name, or S&W equipment?

The gun designs and the brand name are still valuable. Someone will buy them. Hopefully it will be someone with some backbone this time.

I'm sure you were not seriously suggesting that this would be an issue and therefore the boycott should be abandoned for those reasons.:rolleyes:
Let me ask you a question; If Smith & Wesson had their way and so called "smart gun" technology guns were all one could purchase who would then work on your guns? Certaintly not the people mentioned above whom are quite capable of repairing, customizing or up grading current guns.
For the record I work on my own and do quite well.

Mobias,

No problem, I only have ONE S&W left. And when it goes belly up, I'll use it as a small anchor or something like that. Or I could mount it on the wall with a letter of information, explaining what a bunch of dogs S&W was and how they shot themselves in their foot.

What ever, I'll still have other fine weapons to use.

Clem
USMC Retired

Who Will ?

First off, I've never had one of my Smiths break :confused:
Second of all there are several very reliable gun smiths in my area who would be more than willing and capable of repairing them ;)

Sure. There are gunsmith's out there who will work on them. Problem is they will need parts. Parts that will probably have to be ordered from SW.

You present me with a dilemma here, mobias.

*&* agreement and boycott threads usually go in General Discussion or Legal & Political. I'm going to leave this one here since it is a legitimate question to some members and does concern the repair of the actual handguns under the current state of *&*.

And the answer to your question is - me.

Smith parts are available at many gun shows

and you should lay in a few if it really concerns you. A spare hammer, a hand, and maybe an extra firing pin and bushing(for the older smiths) would be the only areas I would be concerned with. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, there are probably thousands of armorer's and gunsmiths out there who can do it for you.:)

Sure. There are gunsmith's out there who will work on them. Problem is they will need parts. Parts that will probably have to be ordered from SW.

Mobias, if you keep posting jokes you are going to make this very difficult to continue with serious responses.;)

Look to the hundreds, thousands of guns that have been out or production for many, many long years. Parts for them, albeit at times difficult to come by, are far from impossible. If and when Smith & Wesson does go belly up there will no shortage of parts in several generations if then. Those that are not available can easilty be made but gunsmiths.

I'm sure you simply did not have the time to address my last question to you on the subject. But in spite of that I would like to pose another directed at you; Assuming you have read the agreement (and I'm sure you have or you would not enter into a discussion of S&W) do you not think it better to have guns that require some searching for broken parts than to have no guns at all since they have been all but prohibited from private ownership?

If Smith and Wesson goes belly up, their inventory will be sold off and held by parts distributors. Not too complicated.

Think they're still making parts for thirty year old guns today? I doubt it. Think no after-market manufacturer can match the quality standards of the current Smith and Wesson? If there is a niche it will be filled.

This is a pretty weak leg to stand on when trying to rationalize the patronage of a company that is willing to trade your freedom for a larger market share.

Me. I do all of my own work on my S&W revolvers.

S&W certainly isn't the only supplier of spare parts for the guns.

Given the popularity of S&W revolver, I don't think it would take long for someone to start manufacturing critical spare parts, either.

Also consider that the K-frame is the most popular revolver style ever manufactured, and very well may be the most numerous version (if you include all of the calibers) ever manufactured. Production of .38 caliber K-frames alone is somewhere above 25 million.

Need parts for a Model 19? Other than the cylinder and frame, parts from virtually ANY K-frame revolver will work. Trigger? No problem. Hammer? No problem. Etc? No problem.

There are also plenty of "broken" guns out there that can be cannibalized for parts. When I worked at the gun shop I stripped two broken Model 10s that came in for disposal.

About the ONLY S&W revolver that you can't find parts for are the M-frames. And you haven't been able to find parts for those for 50 years, given the low production numbers, so S&W going out of business would be a moot point in that case.

Interesting way of trying to undermine the boycott, it just doesn't hold water.

My 1903 pattern .32 hand ejector got a tune up last year. No problem getting parts. None came directly from S&W.

Since S&W is now under it's fifth ownership, looks like the problem would have popped up long ago if there was to be a problem.

I am eagerly looking forward to the sixth set of owners. Maby they will get it right for a change. The last two have been disasters.

Sam

mobias... Not only are there the large parts houses such as Numrich (GPC), Jack First etc., but there are also many, many small businesses that carry handgun parts. Some of these outfits cater to those who attend gun shows, perhaps specializing in hard to find items, others are a resource for local gunsmiths, and the public at large.

Like Sam, I tuned up an old *&* recently, a .44 hand ejector, first version. Parts were no problem, everything needed was obtained within half an hours drive.

Once you get to know the proprietors of these businesses you may be invited to "look in the drawers over there". There is an advantage to working with the locals: you can pick and choose among parts to select the one with the dimensions that will work best for your application. One such establishment close to me has a drawer with hundreds of parts for really old *&*'s: models #1, 1 1/2 etc. When I spotted these, and reacted with pleasant surprise, the owner said that he had forgotten he had them!

Where parts are unobtainable, or simply not worth the time required to track them down, replacements may be made by anyone with access to simple machine tools, or even, in many instances, with patience, by hand.

Bob

So many 1911s and parts for same made by other than Colt that I doubt if one would notice if they quit makin em.

Military contract included.

Sam

Back