A question for Patrol LEO's.

Kframe

Okay, before I post the question, I want to explain that I'm just curious. I am NOT trying to figure out how to speed without getting a ticket. If the weather is nice I pretty much stay with the flow, whether that's 65/55 or 80/70 or whatever.
I have this idea that different types of cops will answer the question differently, and I am interested in the reasoning. Kind of a psychological study, I guess.

Whew, got that out of the way.

Okay, you're driving in your squad on a two-lane (one lane each way) rural highway, speed limit 55mph. It's about 0900 on a weekday. There are several drive-ways and field entrances along the road, and there are some hills (no passing zones) every mile or so. From the other direction comes three cars, radar clocks them at 75mph+.
They are all average looking newer cars, nothing broken, the 2nd and 3rd are not tailgating, no weaving/honking/brights, the drivers are average looking adults. The road is paved, weather is fine, it's daytime, the cars aren't really operating dangerously, they're just going too fast. (Yes, excessive speed is dangerous. I'm just saying that other than that everything is okay.)

Since they're going twenty over the limit I'm going to assume that nearly all cops would do something.

Do you turn around and pull over the third car?

Or do you try harder and get the 2nd or 1st car?

What is your reasoning behind who you pull over?

Citations?

Like I said above, I don't hope to glean any "useful" info from any replies. Since most cops will handle it differently I doubt anything posted here could be used to get away with speeding. I'm just curious.
Thanks, -Kframe

Well, I don't know the answer to your question, but I heard a cute joke last night that might help you out in your hypothetical situation.

You know when you're pulled over, and the officer comes up to your window and asks 'Sir, do you know why I pulled you over?' Just say 'No, officer, did you forget on your way up here from your squad car?'. ;)

Best bet is to go for the last one, and use the radio to warn somebody else about the other two. Remember, the speed required to catch up to a 75 MPH violator from a stop (the U-Turn) makes it too risky to pull into the second lane to go after the first or second car.

Cite for speeding 75/55.

LawDog

Catch up to those vehicles in a safe manner and wait till theres a open strech of highway or mabee stop sign at an intersection. [Time is one my side here] 1st vehicle i the one you "clocked" so that car should be the one to be stopped and driver recieve a citation. Since the other two vehicles were not tailgating; the other two vehicles speed are independant of the first one. Unless you "clocked" each vehicle seperatly from the first. Far as issuing a citation, couple of things come into play, drivers demeanor while i speak with him or her. Number and type of citations issued [if any] to this subject last 12 months. At 20 over it's tough to excuse yourself out of a ticket. I personally don't stop many vehicles under 70 mph; most everyone is driving 65 anyway. Iowa State troopers on the other hand, {i just got a warning ticket other day for 62 in 55from a State Trooper] will cite your speed over 60 mph, i don't have a problem with it, there main deal is traffic enforcement. Every officers style is different and dictates how he or she handels traffic enforcement.

K FRAME, funny you should mention this... This type of incident happened to me. Three cars traveling 57/35 mph. Pulled over the first car, then motioned the other ones to pull over. All three received citations. The two drivers of the trailing cars requested a hearing and were found guilty. The vehicles were timed by VASCAR for a distance of approx 1 mile. This was a very bad section of roadway, which is a breeding ground for serious vehicle accidents. If this occurred in another location, they may have gotten a warning, depending on traffic, road conditions, weather conditions, time of day, pedestrians etc... As a rule, I always attempt to stop the lead vehicle and stop the other ones if conditions permit.

Could try this.. I've seen it done, and I've done it to stop 2 cars. Use lights and siren, the last 2 in line pull over. Stop with the first one in line and when 2 and 3 come up, flag them over. Its a shot, doesnt always work.

Pardon me for asking but why the hell WOULD the other two cars stop just cause you waved at them? I mean even assuming they thought you might call for help from someone on down the line, they could just claim they thought you were waving at the other car...

K Frame,
I almost did not answer this as such questions are mostly too hypothetical for me. I will say that departmental policies, traffic law and common sense should figure in to every stop and there are never two stops that are the exact same. In general, citations are issued in my area at 10 MPH over the speed limit. You can be stopped at 1 MPH over the speed limit, if the officer chooses. Cars running in tandem can bring on a variety of enforcement actions, even from the same officer. Often times the first is cited, some times all three, and sometimes the one vehicle that may be considered the most dangerous at that speed. The bottom line is that I can not tell you exactly what might happen or how I personally would respond in every instance, there are simply too many variables not mentioned to say "Oh yeah, I would do this..."
One thing that I would like to address is the cavalier attitude expressed by some if an officer is trying to wave them over to the side of the road. If you want to get yourself into far worse trouble than a simple speeding ticket, ignoring an officer in this circumstance would be an excellent way. Additional charges could include evading police, failure to obey a lawful order of an officer, disobeying traffic control signals..., ad infintum. You have just given an officer every legal reason in the books to conduct a long, involved and tension-filled roadside investigation that will probably end up with you at the county jail or an immediate appearance before a magistrate. And believe me when the officer presents his case or worse yet, simply runs the videotape that judge is going to be a very unhappy person.
The best and most responsible course of action is if there is any doubt at an officer's gesture, just pull over and see what he wants. He may only be trying to tell you:
1. You have a tire going down.
2. You are leaking fluids.
3. Your fuel door is open.
4. Your trunk is open.
5. Your hood is open.
6. Your kids are making obscene gestures at the truck drivers.
7. Your kids are throwing things at truck drivers.
8. You left your wife at the last stop.
9. You have an emergency message.
10. You have been reported overdue by anxious relatives.
11. That item you thought would ride on top didn't.
12. Your car is on fire.
13. Your Pekinese (or what's left fo him) is still chained to your back bumper.
As you can see, I have been on Interstate 10 for too many years. One day I have hopes of retiring and getting a real job; like that big, dumb guy that used to work with Marlin Perkins in "Wild Kingdom" or something...

Take care and God bless,
Paladin

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited December 12, 1999).]

Back when I was still in the police business, I was behind a group of cars that were well over the limit, I pulled over one car. The driver was upset because he got stopped and I did not stop the rest. I told him that he was the weaker gazelle in the herd and I was the lion that pulled him down.
He was really not amused but he paid the bloody ticket. 60 in a 45.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Back