A question concerning S&W K frame reassembly

• Thread starter Thread starter KilgorII
  • Start date Start date
K

KilgorII

I know, I know... I'm going to go pick up that shop manual for S&W revolvers by Kuen.... something or another. That'll answer my question I'm sure. But I am hoping that for tonight, someone can answer my question.

I took my model 13 apart to measure the trigger width so that I could order a wider, smooth one. It is back together and is quite simple in operation. However, there is one part I am having trouble with. It is the last peice you put in before putting the sise plate back on. It's black, with a loop on one end and a bent bar at the other. It ridesin a slot in the side plate and appears to be some sort of hammer block.

Can anyone tell me this piece's purpose? When it is in (and I may have it in wrong, but I don't know how I could) the trigger return has a hitch in it and I can make it hang if I really try. With it out, the trigger is fine. I can't see the purpose for it and thought about leaving it out, but having leftover parts when reassemlying a firearm tends to make one nervous.

So anyone know what this is?

Thanks,

Kilgor

Don't leave it out. It's an integral part of the safety system.

It's the hammer block.

It's there in case the hammer breaks, or the hammer receives a crushing blow. It is designed to intercept the hammer and keep it from hitting the primer by physically blocking it.

If there's a hitch in the trigger with the piece installed, that means that it's catching or binding somewhere in its groove, on the stud on the rebound slide, or on the frame when it goes back into place between the frame and hammer when the trigger is released.

A quick inspection should give you some idea as to where it is catching.

I've got it figured out. I was focusing in the wrong place. At the front of the trigger, where it engages the cylinder rotation lock it was bone dry. A drop of oil at this point and it resets just fine. Must have been my imagination about a change when that peice wasn't in or maybe it create just enough drag to cause the problem to show... I dunno.

I feel a tad sheepish.

Thanks Mike.

Kilgore,

Try using grease on the interior of your revolvers, something like DSX or one of the other similar lubes.

Grease stays put whereas oil will rather quickly wick away, leaving the parts dry again.

Back