A question about scopes

shalom777

Inactive
I was once told by someone that you can't mount a rifle scope on a pellet gun because the pellet gun would knock out the cross hairs, the reason being that a rifle scope is designed to absorb the shock only in one direction and a pellet gun scope is designed to take the shock in both directions.

Your opinions would be most helpful.

Baruch hashem Adonai

No a rifle scope should be just fine in fact I have a bushnell rimfire scope on my pellet rifle.

Buy an air rifle scope or make sure the rifle scope is approved for an air rifle. Just any old scope won't work.

pete2 is correct. If it isn't approved for air gun use, it can fail. The manufacturer usually has this info available. I know people who ruined perfectly good scopes putting them on air rifles.

A traditional rifle scope may or may not work on an air rifle. While the recoil is much less it is coming from the opposite direction on an air rifle. Most scopes are not designed for that. It might work, and it might be worth using a cheap scope on one. But I think you'd be better buying one designed for it.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess my friend was right. I'd hate to ruin an expensive piece of glass. Or even a cheap one.

Baruch hashem Adonai

While the recoil is much less it is coming from the opposite direction on an air rifle. Most scopes are not designed for that.

Would this be true when using a "pump" air gun? I've heard how the "spring-air" rifles have this recoil effect, but I believe a pump one would not have this problem since it fires by releasing compressed air, which would involve no spring action. I'm open to being corrected about this.

A pump up style is still subject to lot of shock effects from the motions involved.
I don't think they are accurate enough to really benefit from a scope.

A pump up style is still subject to lot of shock effects from the motions involved.

Would that mean that semi-auto firearms in general are not good for scopes due to the internal mechanisms?

Would that mean that semi-auto firearms in general are not good for scopes due to the internal mechanisms?
Most name brand scopes will handle the recoil of semi-autos with no problem.

Much of the "wisdom" about not using regular scopes on air rifles is held over from years ago when scope quality was nowhere near as good as today.

The good name brands will stand up to most all rifles with no problems.

Back