A question about projectiles.

Pond James Pond

When dealing with the likes of the Remington NA .44, is there any reason not to use lead bullets designed to fit a .45 cartridge?

For example, if I bought a lead 200gr SWC or TC bullet, is there any reason they wouldn't fly true?

The problem would be getting them to load straight and you would have to load them off the gun.

Pond said:
When dealing with the likes of the Remington NA .44, is there any reason not to use lead bullets designed to fit a .45 cartridge?

For example, if I bought a lead 200gr SWC or TC bullet, is there any reason they wouldn't fly true?
Most bullets made (or cast for revolvers have a lube grovve (or two or three) and a crimp groove. Projectiles intended for use with semi-automatics typically don't have a crimp groove, because the semis take a taper crimp rather than a roo crimp.

The bullets for cartridge guns are not rebated unless you cast up a gas checked bullet and loaded it into the NMA without the gas check. You need a consistent way to seat the bullet centered into the chamber. The best bullets are the LEE 44 cal conical or a couple of the BigLube bullets (see biglube.com). All suitable ones have rebated driving bands that let the bullet fall into the chamber just past the first or second driving band for straight in ramming.

Oops! I just realized that Mr. Pond has a cap-and-ball. Somehow, I saw "Remington NA .44" and my brain thought "Ruger" -- so I was thinking of a Blackhawk and .44 Special. So kindly ignore my comment about crimp grooves.

Back