A new to me Elsie

Ricklin

I stopped by my favorite used gun place the other day for my lunch hour. I like to look thru their used racks for bargains.
I found the bargain of a lifetime, and it fits me like a glove.
She is a 1918 LC Smith Specialty grade. It's a single barrel trap gun.
The condition of this "Elsie" is unreal. A few dings in the stock, and a Morgan adjustable pad, plus a set of perfectly done holes down the rib. The previous owner had installed a woooden extension rib on top of the original rib.
I removed the wood rib, and lo and behold the original ivory beads were still on the rib.
Other than the issues I mentioned this gun is wonderful, case colors barely worn, metal is in wonderful shape. It's actually hard to believe this gun is darn near 100 years old. Heck the locking lever is still WELL right of center. The ejector is perfectly timed, the trigger breaks like the proverbial glass rod.

I think the large retailer figured the gun was ruined because of the wood rib that was added on. Guess they don't know that can be easily fixed. And in fact the holes in the rib are well done, you can only see them when you look straight down on the rib, they don't affect the "sight picture" at all.

I am just one happy camper, this is a superb high condition gun. I shall post some pics soon, she is a knockout!

Thanks publius,
It is a gorgeous gun, but dove hunting would not be it's forte.
A. Choked tighter than a nun's kiss.
B. Darn near 9 pounds
C. 34" barrel

Pretty much a clay breaking machine, only. That's 100% OK with me as trap is my favorite game.
It is interesting to note that long barrels are currently in vogue, 34" is very common in new, high end trap guns. Esp single barrel guns.
This gun was made in 1918! It will be out on the line tomorrow breaking targets, with authority. I love it when that orange disc becomes a black dust cloud.
The beauty of these old trap guns is the game of trap is very very old, and has changed very very little.
I think the last big change in trap was in the 50's or 60's when the 27 yard line was added, thanks primarily to a guy by the name of Arnold Rieger one of the all time great trap shooters from right here in the Pacific Northwest.
Back in the day Arnold would take the train or bus to a major shoot, and drive home the new car that was the top prize. He also shot rather "pedestrian" guns, starting with a Winchester Model 37. Just goes to show you that it is the Indian, not the arrow!

Last edited:
Back