A new "00ps!"

Prof Young

So on the main floor of the house I have a small (emphasis on small) safe in a closet where my carry guns get stored. There's the kel tec p3at in a pocket holster for when nothing else will work. Plus the Sig p238 in a OWB thumb break holster for when my shirt tail is a touch short, and the sig 365 also in an OWB nylon holster with a retaining strap which is my preferred carry. The 365 also has a Kydex paddle holster that I use when the shirt is loose enough for it to not print.

So, usually the guns are in their holsters in the safe. Recently I took the 365 out of the Kydex paddle and put it in the safe without reholstering it in the nylon holster. (The paddle does not fit in the safe and lives on top of the safe.) Headed out yesterday with a no-tail sports shirt on. Grabbed the p3at and went about my business. Replace it in the safe when I got home, it never left the holster. Grabbed the 365 out today and discovered that . . . the safety was off. Yeah, I know, this gun doesn't really need a safety, so this is not a truly disturbing situation, but nonetheless, as I shuffled through my choices, I must have hit the safety and not realized it. Will not store "loose" guns in there any more.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I solve this kind of problem by ...
Having only one carry handgun ... a DA Revolver ... no safety to contend with .
The safety is always off ...

Beware the man who has but one gun , he can probably use it well .
Gary

safeties

I would be more worried about failing to wipe the safety "off" in a confrontation than I would be discovering it off inadvertently after carry. This concern would be heightened if I routinely carried guns with and without safeties.

Finding a external manual safety "off" after extended carry is not a rare discovery. It happens, more than many will admit. The ambi safety pistols seem especially prone to this. Fortunately, good designs like the SIG that have multiple layers of internal safety features essentially negate a tripped safety if proper gun handling is followed. Remember, ALL the P-series SIGS prior the P365 existed without external manual safeties for a long time.

I discovered that I left my concealed carry gun at home, been walking around with an empty holster all day today, lol.

Isn't sig p238 single-action? Is it safe to carry it lock-and-load with safety off?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Recently I took the 365 out of the Kydex paddle and put it in the safe without reholstering it in the nylon holster. (The paddle does not fit in the safe and lives on top of the safe.)..... Grabbed the 365 out today and discovered that . . . the safety was off.

Will not store "loose" guns in there any more.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Is that actually the correct lesson to draw from the incident???

if I am understand the situation, you are placing your LOADED carry pistol(s) in their holster(s) in a small safe, providing the holster fits.

Loaded, as in chamber loaded??? Gun loaded with the safety on, if applicable??

Why???

Rather than deciding not to store "loose" guns in the safe, might it not be a better idea not to store the guns loaded, in the safe??

rickyrick: i don't think i could make that mistake with the only pistol i have "1911" too heavy to not notice. but then again "s*** happens"

" life gets messy, clean it up "

sig p238

Yes the SIG 238 did indeed have a manual safety and that makes my statement regards "ALL" SiG p-series incorrect. What I should have stated was all older double action P-series SiGs do not have a safety. Thinking a bit more, the new military Sig320 (M17/18) has an external safety.

Maybe I should think more and post less?:confused:

About the only blanket statement I've found to be true is that as soon as you make one, someone will shoot holes in it, as there is nearly always some exception, or information you're unaware of when making the statement.

What I am most curious about, here, is why the change in position of the safety matters. Memory issue? Lack of comprehensive observation at some point?

"I know I left it with the safety on!" and now its off. Why?

That's one thing.

The other part of it is simply the handling and storage of weapons. Fully loaded? loaded but empty chamber?? Completely unloaded? And, why.

TO me, a gun in a safe is in storage, and shouldn't be loaded. A loaded weapon, kept ready for immediate use is not, to me, "in storage".

I don't store pistols in their holsters. Not a big deal where I live now, but did matter more back in the days of leather only and living in a humid climate. Just a habit, I suppose, but one that harms nothing I can see.

44 Amp . . . good points

44 Amp

I appreciate your contributions to this forum and, as usual, you make some good points.

I have a three story home. There is a safe on each floor with at least one loaded gun in it. Now, the chances of me having a home invasion are next to zero. It's a small town and I live in the well lighted center across from the police station. But, in terms of having an HD gun "available" I figure it's better to be a touch over prepared.

So yes, they are stored loaded, but maybe "stored" is the wrong word as they see daily use. The main floor safe being the most often accessed. I suppose I could carry all day at home, but in the course of one day I go from sleep wear to work wear to taking-Jan-out wear so . . . it's easer to leave them in the safe until I'm leaving the house.

Thanks to all for thoughts and comments.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I'm not trying to imply that you should wear a gun all day inside your home, what I got focused on was "in a safe". TO me, in a safe means LOCKED storage. And opening locked storage takes time. Not a lot, but some, at least a couple seconds perhaps 3 or more, even with keypad access.

Key locks and combination locks take even longer. Storing the gun empty with a loaded magazine next to it doesn't seem, to me, to be something that would take too much time to "make ready" AFTER you get the safe open. AND, it positively precludes the possibility of an AD, along with providing you with positive proof the condition of the gun.

What I mean is, when you pick up the gun, and load it, you KNOW, for certain it is loaded.

Everybody has a different situation, what works for me possibly isn't best for you, and vice versa. The guns I keep ready to "repel boarders! arrrh!" are loaded, don't have safeties, and are not under lock and key. They are concealed, but instantly available at need. There are no children, or visitors, small house, out in the country, large dog in residence 24/7. My system works for me, but clearly not applicable for you.

Back