A mystery scope -PLUM ???

jiminthecorner

A fella up here in Canada has a 2x-20 scope very similar to a weaver/redfield. A pic of it shows its black and has the name "PLUM" and a small logo on it (the eye piece) He thinks it was made for the US military. It has fine crosshairs . I've never heard of such a scope. Anyone help?? I hope this is the proper forum JITC:confused:

Is there a line or marking on the tube of the scope correlating to this "plum" mark? It might be something to do with mounting the scope "plum" so that it is not tilted when the crosshairs and the bore axis are in the same vertical plane? or whatever... well that's hoping his PLUM is not a LEMON! Sorry... that was too easy!

Ah..."plum" is not "plumb."

"Plumb" is Latin for lead; the derivation of common usage is via "plumb bob" and "plumb line," thus "plumb" for "vertical."

Regards,

Walt
PS ...and not "plumb," neither...

Could it be a "spotting" scope from the Plum Island Lighthouse? Just a wild... very wild... guess. The Army's Fort Terry, IIRC, is nearby and it might also be from there. Again, just an extremely wild guess from the cheap seats.

I know plumb and lead and all those, just that I see plum used enough that I might assume that the misused spelling might have some meaning here. Like gun "sites" etc.

:D

Cite, site, site...

Phase for faze (to disconcert)

Decimate for devastate (decimate = destroy 10%, devastate = demolish)

Muzzle break for muzzle brake (the device is intended to retard recoil, hence, "brake")

...the list goes on...

Yeah, well, say what you want about the US Military, about the worst "spelling" errors I see are putting hyphens in M designations, e.g.,
"M-1" for "M1."

Regards,

Walt

Back