A. M. Cone rifles

Mausermolt

I recently found out that one of my relatives used to make fine target and hunting muskets. His name was Alfred Marion Cone. A Google search didnt give me much info other than he made guns along with a guy named Golcher. A. M. Cone was my great great grandfather and I would love to own one his rifles. If anyone could point me in the direction of any information on these guns or where to purchase one I'd really appreciate it. Thanks folks and merry Christmas!!!!

I couldn't find much either. I did find two things.

This at ancestry.com forums posted by a Matt Cone:

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread...rtham.usa.states.pennsylvania.counties.warren

and this
CONE, Alfred Marion— Born in Panama, N. Y., Dec. 21, 1831; died
April 1, 1903. A cooper by trade, took up gunsmithing at Co-
lumbus, Pa.; later on North Centre St., Corry, Pa., and 331 Penn-
sylvania Ave. West, Warren, Pa. Made very accurate, finely
engraved hunting and match rifles, some side-hammers.

TK

I've seen one Cone rifle over the years. It's in the collections of the Pennsylvania State Historical and Museum Commission.

I can't remember if it's at the main museum in Harrisburg or if it's at one of the other state museums (most likely candidate is the Landis Valley Farm Museum in Lancaster County).

The name Golcher is most commonly associated with a lock maker (Joseph) in the Philadelphia area around the time that your ancestor was also active. There were other Golchers who were gunsmiths, but as far as I know, none of them were associated with Warren.

It's very common to find rifles and shotguns fitted with Golcher locks made by gunsmiths all over the mid-Atlantic region.

Back