A little repair for my Cimarron Model P .44 Special

Bob Wright

I have a Bob Mernickle PS-6SA holster and thought I'd try my Cimarron/Uberti Model P .44 Special for fit. I took my .44 from the case, drew the hammer to half cock, and rotated the cylinder to clear the gun, a habit I've followed faithfully for over sixty years. Satisfied the gun was clear, I drew the hammer to full cock and eased the hammer down. Something didn't feel right, so I cocked the hammer and tried to rotate the cylinder by hand. Locked up tight. I eased the hammer down to the half cock position and tried to rotate the cylinder. The cylinder wouldn't budge rotating it to the right, but it would back up about half diameter of a chamber. Now its not supposed to do that. Cocked the hammer again, and eased it down and tried to rotate the cylinder: same thing. The cylinder tried to rotate backward when manually turned.

I removed the cylinder and cycled the action. The locking bolt snapped up like its supposed to do. But when I pushed it down with my finger, I felt very little resistance. Trying to rotate the cylinder backwards let the cylinder notch leads cam the bolt down and allowed slight rotation.

I dug into my parts box, and there was a Single Action bolt/trigger spring. I got the backstrap, grip, trigger guard and mainspring off, got the bolt/trigger trigger out and compared the two ~ couldn't tell much difference. Replaced the spring and reassembled the gun. The Uberti takes the same screwdriver bits as does the Colt, incidentally.

So, back in the saddle again.

Bob Wright

Yes, they would have. And from what I've heard, very promptly, too.

But then, my down time was like twenty minutes, as opposed to a couple of weeks otherwise.

Bob Wright

Howdy

So what's the story with the old spring? Did you check it for a hairline crack across the leg that works the bolt? Often a stress fracture develops, significantly weakening the spring. Sometimes, when you take out the spring, it falls apart, like this:

broken%20bolt_zpstrr4xbao.jpg

Back