a little help here

Status
Not open for further replies.

sere101

Retired Screen Name
I am looking for a new HK USP 45. So if I am not a FFL holder and dont know anyone else who is except at the local shop, where is the best place to buy? Online? Is that safe to do from someone I dont know? What will my local shop say when I ask them to receive a weapon that I didnt buy from them? Is that appropriate? Are the savings enough to make me shop online?
Thanks in advance for any responses.

Savings can often be significant enough to buy on-line. If you're buying "new" from a dealer on-line, you're probably safe from any foul play. Any needed warranty work will be done by the factory anyway, not the dealer you bought it from. I prefer to go to a sporting goods store for transfers. The "employees" there often don't care that you're bringing in a gun you could have bought there. Just tell them you'd like to make a state to state transfer. You don't need to tell them you're "buying" a new gun.

When I find a good deal on-line, I like to add up the total cost plus shipping plus FFL fees. I then take that total around to my local gunshops and see how close they can come to matching it. If the difference is just a few dollars I prefer to give my business to people in my community. If the difference is significant, well... money is money. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by JJR (edited August 29, 1999).]

You can find a list of FFLs at www.gunsamerica.com. Expect to pay a $15 to $20 transfer fee. If you plan to have it shipped to your local gun shop, you should check with it beforehand to find out the fee. Some dealers charge a higher fee after they realize that they have lost the sale. Shipping should be less than $10.

I don't buy online because I can usually find the same price locally. I have not seen a price on a USP .45 recently. However, at a recent gun show in Houston, the 9mm or .40 S&W full size USPs were around $530. The .45 is usually a little more, about $550.

Though I haven't purchased there, www.bachmangun.com has competitive prices, and I have seen posts on other boards from satisfied customers. Just remember, caveat emptor: let the buyer beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back