A hunting road trip with my dogs

couillon

Jumped in the truck with the dogs and went on a walkabout earlier this month.

Wild Quail hunting upland coastal prairie on a WMA, Dash on points. Not a lot of covies found due to sheet water, warm weather, and on day two we had lots of wind. But the covies we did find were big.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Bonus bird in the mix

medium800.jpg

standard.jpg

Uh Oh, Don't think we will let the dogs drink there. Dern warm weather had them out sunning.

medium800.jpg

Last edited:
With few trees to run into, Blaze who is blind, got to have her fun too.

standard.jpg

Traveling like a Gypsy out of my truck I was fortunate in that some waterfowler friends also hunting in the area had rented a house nearby and gave me an invite. Well not really nearby, but in that country two hours is nearby and better than sleeping in my truck.

I did get to make one hunt with the guys on the bay. Having just rolled in from Quail hunting before jumping on the boat. I am still in green.

standard.jpg

Old school decoys

standard.jpg

Here is what I saw the morning of my quail hunt, followed by flights of cranes and other geese. Knowing what direction the big birds where leaving the roost pond back at the WMA I had to go back and give them a try.

Rare coastal Canadas leaving the roost.
medium800.jpg

I could have easily shot a limit of ducks, but did not want to turn my big bird flights. Pass shooting can sure be exciting in the right circumstances.

Young Dash learning how to sit still and not break on the big birds.
standard.jpg

A couple kayaking friends texted me directions as they were putting decoys out on the bay at a place they scouted for access. So after my morning hunt I headed that way and launched the yak to join them.

I could not help but stop to take a picture of this dead soldier.
standard.jpg

The regatta.

standard.jpg

Divers is what it was about.

standard.jpg

Divers taking a pounding.

standard.jpg

Wake me when y'all are ready to leave.

standard.jpg

Friends headed north, I went back to sleeping in my truck to go after the big birds again.

Dash with his first Duck retrieve.

standard.jpg

But big birds are what I came for.

standard.jpg

I ended the morning hunt early so I could make it to one of the National Forests for some Woodcock hunting in before Dark.

Poor Blaze was not happy. A forest full of trees to run into is no place for a blind dog.

standard.jpg

Hunted two different areas known for having woodcock including one area a forest ranger had been seeing them days before.

standard.jpg

Again no woodcock found. At least that I know of. Unusual for a Vizsla, Dash ranges out of sight often. He sure had fun. He is the wind when he runs.

medium800.jpg

What I did find was a super secret beaver pond and flooded timber are deep within the forest that was loaded with wood ducks. At least that is what I thought until I looked at the ground.

standard.jpg

I ended my road trip hunting that pond with Miss Blaze before heading home. She may be blind, but she can still retrieve just fine on small water.
medium800.jpg

Amazing photos, and a great thread after all the negativity around here lately.

Makes me miss my old, blind springer, Maggie, who I lost several years ago.

This is Max, in his second year of mayhem and madness with his first rooster of the year this past fall.

Anybody who loves their dogs is a friend of mine. Thank you!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Max - resized.jpg
    Max - resized.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Max 2 Resized.jpg
    Max 2 Resized.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Thanks guys, After having owned some hunting dogs in the past that I realized I did not have a single picture of, I now take a camera with me on every hunt I do.

Hey bird dog,
Max is a great looking dog. He sure looks happy about that pheasant!

Nice story, couillon, thanks. I just lost my old Brittany this year, and man do I miss her. Nothing better than a hunting road trip.

BTW, you guys have got some big bullfrogs down there.;)

Back