• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

a how to "Search" question

Blue Duck357

Say I want to search on the Glock 22. You can't type "Glock 22" into search because the "22" is too short. If you add a widlcard behind 22 ala "Glock 22*" you only get responses if someone put something behind the 22 in the post such as "Glock 22's"

Anyway around this?

Thanks for any help, Blue Duck

Try "Glock G22". You should get lots of threads since someone usually adds the 'G' to the front of the model somewhere in the thread.

OK, how about trying to search for '22 rifle' or 'HK pistol'? How would you narrow down to only find posts on 22 rifles? You could probably narrow down to find HK posts by searching all post text for Heckler or something but most would abbreviate that name, i believe. What purpose does the 3 letter limit serve? Do you only index 3 letter or greater words? Would 2 letter words increase the count much? I don't know how many two letter words are in our language but I would think not many, and you would include some very useful search possibilities by being able to search on calibers and abbreviations.

Thanks.
nashgill

Thanks for the explanation. Or the pointer to it.
Where did you find woods in Northern Virginia?

Thanks.
nashgill

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so negative. It is late and I am tired. I meant some form of sarcasm in my post. I am in Loudon County and have lived in Northern Virginia my entire life. My parents were born here, grandparents, great-grandparents and down the line. Mostly in Loudon and Fairfax counties. I bought my first home in Ashburn just about 3 years ago and was so excited that there were still open spaces so close to so many high-tech companies. Sadly in the past year all the old farms and fields have been bought up. There are new Country Clubs to be built! I am very quickly seeing my area be built up beyond my wildest dreams. I find myself heading to the mountains of West Virginia almost every weekend to escape this place. Not enough room here for me. Fauquier is a beautiful area. I love the old farms down there. Again, sorry for sounding harsh.

Thanks.
nashgill

Trust me, I saw nothing negative in your remark. I think I took it in the spirit you meant and understood what you were implying. Fauquier has strongly resisted the urbanization pressure - so far so good. But I'm not sure how long we can hold out.

We have strayed far beyond the reason for this thread, so we should should probably let it go at this.

Back