A history lesson? Please pass this along!

Maddog_Enigma

Hey guys, I just woke out of a dead sleep because I felt compelled to write this poem.
I haven't seen the poem in a version like this so I hope I'm not copying anyone else's work.

Please pass it along, I know there are some people out there who could use a lesson like this. Here it is:

First they came for the "Assault Rifles", and I didn’t speak up,
because I didn't own an "Assault Rifle." (They have no legitimate "sporting purpose" anyway)

Then they came for the .50 caliber "Sniper Rifles", and I didn’t speak up,
because I didn't own a .50 caliber "Sniper Rifle." (You can't use one of those for self defense anyway)

Then they came for the Handuns, and I didn’t speak up,
because I didn't own a Handgun. (You can't hunt with one of those anyway)

Then they came for the Shotguns, and I didn't speak up,
because I didn't own a shotgun. (You can't use them for target practice anyway)

Then they came for my bolt action rifle, and by that time there was no one left
to speak up for me.

Remember, folks. The 2nd Amendment isn't about hunting or target shooting, even though we may enjoy these passtimes. It is about our life and liberty. May God Bless America!

Alas, there is a poem almost like that. However, it has been paraphrased by many others and changed to different versions also in songs and inscriptions.Pastor Niemoller who it was attributed to has even changed it up.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

Those who want to gain total control, always use the same pattern. Pick a target to protect the "people" from then just keep picking things one ata a time to protect the "people from. Ending up with the control they want and a country of slaves.

In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

No.. if America need to lock anyone up, it's people like you. You all are much more dangerous to our freedoms than any terrorist. You are basically "Good Germans". You are motivated by the same thing the Nazis were motivated by... hate and fear.

You might be joking but I take this very seriously. Halliburton has been building "detention and processing facilities"... also known as prison camps, inside the United States. Bush now has the power to declare martial law for almost any reason. He is allowed to kidnap people, hold them indefinitely and torture them legally... there's nothing they can do to stop it. He's allowed to listen to your phone and read your e-mail without warrants. They have a huge terrorist watch list which has the names of antiwar activists and who knows who else on it. And after all that, they talk about "liberals" and "conspiracy theorists" like they are less than human.

Thank god we do have the second amendment. If we didn't, people would be able to do nothing to protect themselves if someone like yourself were elected president.

By the way, you might want to change your signature. You obviously don't truly beleive in freedom of thought.

IMO, Rob has justified fears. I can understand his line of thinking. If you aren't scared, you aren't paying attention.

HOWEVER (there is always a caveat, isn't there? :) ) Rob...relax. These executive powers have been around for quite some time, and presidents in the past have abused them much more heinously. There is absolutely no reason to start freaking out just yet. Remember, we're consumers...your dollars are the fuel of this nation, for better or worse. I don't enjoy that most of my taxes support a "war" that most of the country doesn't support, but nevertheless, without its consumers America sputters. Ours is a vast country, and although obviously quite easily brainwashed via mass communication outlets, we are still, as a lot, rugged individualists and idealists. Subjugating an entire nation like the united states is a daunting and altogether impossible task for a government, no matter HOW far reaching.

The greatest indicator that you still live in a free nation, Rob? You're allowed to post this :). The truncheon may be used in lew of rational discourse, but it isn't in our streets. Not yet.

Back