A gun for my husband -- is P11 the right one?

pax

Hi all,

It's time to buy a carry gun for my husband. He's a fairly new shooter and absolutely must not get 'made' while he is at work. He's been carrying an NAA mini but we finally have a little money to get him a real gun. So help us out here...

The top of our short list right now is a Kel-Tec P11. We haven't absolutely decided on it, but he likes the look and feel of it. Also the size & weight seem ideal for concealability, which is what's most important to him.

Queries:
  1. Is the P11 a reliable self defense gun? Would you trust your life to it?
  2. What carry method do you recommend? He wears nice slacks and a company-mandated white shirt & tie. He never wears a jacket or sweater on the job. And he must not, under any circumstances save deadly peril, allow anyone to realize he's carrying.
  3. What one book would you recommend he read for the self defense mindset? (Our buddy will be working with him on practical shooting skills, but we'd like a book he can read that will cover the mindset and perhaps legalities.)

pax

A sobering thought: what if, at this very moment, I am living up to my full potential? -- Lily Tomlin

Morning Pax,

I would pass on the P11 given your criteria. I had one and it's not bad. Trigger took some getting used to, though. Fairly hard to conceal for your stated needs.

Looks to me like the first thing is one that he can hide. I would think that a Kel-Tec .32 would be the ticket. Not an optimum defense pistol, but it meets the first rule of a gunfight. (have a gun) I would recommend pocket carry.

Second possibility would be an aluminum frame S&W hammerless. I've carried one in the pocket while at work with no problems. I also dress like your husband. I found mine used for $200.00.

Books - probably one of the best is Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme". A bit dated with the hardware advice, but many good points.

HTH!

Giz

Ditto what GIZMO99 said.

The P-11 is generally a very reliable gun, straight out of the box, but there have been problems. (Note, please, that this is no different than MOST modern guns.)

The P=11 is a difficult gun to shoot well, and it takes a LOT of practice and range time. The l-o-n-g, heavy double-action trigger takes a lot of getting used to.

Mine was very accurate and very reliable, but when I tried it in simulated, real-life situations (as in IDPA matches), I had a hard time getting better than mediocre results.

The P-32, while a much smaller caliber, is much, much more concealable -- and the likelihood of anyone ever knowing he's carrying is very slim indeed.

(I hope you live in a state where carrying concealed is legal, or that he has a permit to do so -- its not worth the risk, otherwise. Get caught and you may lose your right ever own firearms, again.)

Both the P-11 and P-32 are my carry pieces. You will do well with either, although the P-32 is tiny and super easy to conceal. As to the concern about caliber, I wouldn't want to get shot with one. Remember - Shot placement - Shot placement - Shot placement.

Do have him practice, and this goes for any gun. Practice drawing and firing at the range from wherever he carries it. Practice - empty - at home, dry firing, etc.

I had to draw on a dog a couple of weeks ago. Practice made a difference. I had the gun drawn and ready without having to think about how, when, etc.

Enjoy!

I agree with Walt on the P-11. I like mine a lot & it is reliable but it is not for everyone. If your husband has shot it before & is OK with it, then that is a different story. The P-11 takes some time and practice to get used to. I agree with the P-32 recommendation. It's a great gun and can be easily concealed.

First (disclaimer), I own a P32.

While I would love to have my Sig P239 with me at all times, it is a sad fact that my daily wardrobe won't allow it.

The P32 will go anywhere, anytime without any problems. Comfortable, light, and has no equal.

For a little bit more firepower in a "brick" weight mousegun, NAA has recently launched their Guardian .380. Haven't heard much about it though.

Have a P32. Love it. Buy one! Invisible and reliable.

Had a P11. It was a jam o matic. The only good thing I can say about that piece was that it improved my tap-rack malfunction drill to a work of art. Of course, most times I carry a Glock, so who needs a malfunction drill. ;)

I agree with the crowd. I trust my P-11 110% and carry it almost everyday but given your criteria I`d also recomend the P-32. Within the confined of his dress code I`d go with pocket carry in a good pocket holster. Marcus

Have the P-11. It's a great number. Like other's have said, it's very reliable and easy to conceal. I'd also like to suggest the Khar P-9 and P-40. They cost more, but are more refined pistols. Good luck.

Back