A GREAT Christmas Day Burning Black

deerslayer303

I gave my Brother that other CVA Plainsman that I had bought on GB for Christmas. I gave him enough possibles to get him started. After all the talk on the porch, about use, care, and safety of shooting BP, I could see the look on his face. The look that seems to say "what a PITA all this is gonna be". So we struck out to the 50 yard range behind my Dad's place. After laying everything on the shooting table, I let him load a 70 GR charge behind a .490 RB. He sat down, capped it, cocked it, settle in, and BOOM!! When the smoke cleared, he turned around and had this HUGE smile on his face, the only words he could say was WOW. We got the sights adjusted on it and shot 40 balls lol. We shot all the way till dark. The last shot he took at dusk, I put 85 grs. Behind the ball, just for the fireball. And boy when she barked my brother was throwin flames and showering the range with sparks. Lol After that shot he was cheezin like a kid in a Candy shop. Needless to say guys I think I have given another, the ADDICTION. When he left Dad's he told me he's going to Academy tomorrow to get some stuff. You know I tried to let him shoot a Maxi Ball but I COULD NOT get the bullet to go down the bore. I had to grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it out of the muzzle. The rifling bit really deep into the base of that bullet. So maybe Thompson mispackaged some .54's or the bore on that Plainsman is really small.

Well done. I wished I had finished my brother's rifle so I could return it to him. I tried three times to pour the pewter nose and finally figured out that because its such a small pour, the pewter cools off very quickly. Thus, two people (or maybe even three) are needed to pour - that is, one on each side. The metal can be kept warm with a heat gun.

Good work !!!

I gave my Brother that other CVA Plainsman that I had bought on GB for Christmas. I gave him enough possibles to get him started.
Slayer,
What a great experience to share, with your brother and sure looks like you got him hooked. A crazy group of us, used to have night shoots and often loaded loose and max, just to watch the flames. ..... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Back